TPG Community

Get online support

How can I protect my NBN modem / router during storm

wtran
Level 2

Hi,

This is the 3rd time in 6 years that my nbn box has been taken out by a storm. I have aleady advised TPG support of the issue and they said that since there is an outage in the area they need to wait till they can test the line again when the network is up.

However, I know the box is definitely dead as there is no lights. The other 2 times with replacement, the lights were still working but the port was dead. Once it even took out my modem/router as well (internet port dead).

I'm wondering if there is any equipment that can help prevent this. Unplugging is not an option when noboddy is home. None of my other electronics has been affected by the storm when these replacements were required.

2 REPLIES 2
david64
Level 15

Hi @wtran . You can try a power board with built-in Surge Protection (4 or 6 outlets). Leads with 3-pin plugs are ok, but check if any power plug packs might take up more than one position.

wtran
Level 2

@david64Don't think this will help. The incomming port is the issue and not the power supply.

I spoke to the technician and the only way to stop it is to remove the cable, which is impossible if not at home.

I put the tpg provided modem infront of my home router as a way to protect my equipment. In this case, the nbn box and the modem WAN port was fried. A very costly excercise if you had an expensive router.