TPG Community

Get online support

How is the logging going on my internet dropout problem?

jackdavis42
Level 2

HI,

As you know from my previous support requests, my internet has been dropping out every Tuesday at 9:30 am. I understand that you have been logging my connection on a continuing basis. I haven't heard from you for some time but thought I would update with some new information. Today rather than dropping out at 9:30 it dropped out at 11:00 am. Is there anything in the logs to give you a clue as to what was different today? 

Another thing, I got my sons to try the following:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew 

when the internet failed. The release was successful but the renew did not work.

(please don't ask me for any details about my computer, network etc since you already have that information from my last six reports)

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

9 REPLIES 9
Shane

Hi @jackdavis42 ,

I ran an initial test of the service no line faults were detected, but we've seen that there was recorded drop out today, it seems that the modem/router's session was refreshed to our network. It usually happens when the modem/router has been connected for more than a week. 

We recommend to monitor the connection and refresh the modem/router on Friday to see if another dropout will happen next Tuesday 30th of June. 

Regards, 

jackdavis42
Level 2

Hi Shane,

Yes, it will be interesting if it returns to the 9:30 am drop out or stays at 11:00 am now.

One thing you mentioned which is interesting, "It usually happens when the modem/router has been connected for more than a week". 

Is there ever a circumstance where your customers don't have their modem/router connected for more than a week? Aren't they supposed to stay on all the time?

Regards,
Jack
Shane

Hi @jackdavis42,

The modem/router that we provide is only a standard modem/router its not the same as those heavy duty Gaming Modem/router. If the modem/router is left on for more than a week or a month it will experience overheat and that causes dropouts/connectivity issue on its performance.

Regards,

jackdavis42
Level 2

Ok, you are our supplier. Tell me which router/Wireless access point I should buy. I want something that is a drop in replacement and will accomodate all the hardwired connections I currently have plus the various wireless clients we have around the home.

Riezl

Hi @jackdavis42, we don't have any recommended make and model of modems.

You have an option to get your own equipment provided that it is NBN FTTN compatible.

For the modem configuration part, you just need to make sure that the VLAN is enabled and the VLAN ID must be set to "2".

We'd like to also set your expectation that your VoIP service will not work on your own modem since it is only provisioned on the TPG supplied equipment.

jackdavis42
Level 2

Hi again Riezel,

Thanks for the information. We do indeed use Voip so it looks like we have to be content with a drop out of our internet every Tuesday or lose the Voip altogether.

I am sad about this because both my boys are working from home and this weekly interruption means that they have to make sure no online meetings are scheduled on Tuesday mornings. I think they are getting used to it since we have had this since we started with TPG.

It's not so bad in a way because I have friends with other providers who have the issue that their internet slows to a crawl randomly. At least with this we know it is coming and our internet speed is pretty constant.

Shane

Hi @jackdavis42,

You may also use a 3rd party router as an extender so you can keep the VoIP feature of our Supplied modem/router. We have some threads about this that you may find helpful.

See link below.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Are-the-Tpg-routers-DHCP-compatible/m-p/25448#M25....

In case you have a spare router available you'll simply need to change the DNS settings of the router, set on "Automatically Receive DNS IP address" make sure the its connected to the LAN1.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards, 

jackdavis42
Level 2

You know, I've been thinking about our proposed explanation for the drop outs and I think we might have not quite got it figured out. If the drop outs were due to overheating then in the winter, when the house is approximately 15 degrees all day the drop outs should be less frequent. Similarly in the summer when temperatures are 26 degrees or higher they should be more frequent.

However, the drop outs occur PRECISELY at 9:30 am on a Tuesday every week (except last week when it was 11:00am). This sounds like something that is a side effect of some software process that repeats every week.

If so then replacing hardware isn't necessarily going to fix the problem.

Riezl

Are you able to run a Ping and Traceroute test whenever the issue is happening? This is for us to get a real-time test results and identify where's the issue coming from.