TPG Community

Get online support

Improving Ping to SEA from Perth

dccamero
Level 2

Wondering if it is possible to improve ping to servers located in SEA, I used to be on an adsl2 with iinet, and ping was around 60ms. However with the New TPG NBN is 200ms or more. . Is there a different line etc? or any possibility to improve this?

27 REPLIES 27
BasilDV

Hi @dccamero,

Welcome to TPG Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details and have seen that the modem is getting a good sync rate on the NBN FTTN connection.

Are you using a Wired or a WiFi connection? What test have you run so far? Are you playing an online game? If yes, may we know what game it is?

Sorry for the bombs of questions as we need to analyze this further.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

boonhowe
Level 3

I see this happening too.

Pings to Singapore game servers (e.g. Overwatch, BF5) is around 300 (from Perth).

Tracert shows traffic going from Perth->Sydney->Japan->Taiwan->Singapore

Pretty sure 3-4 years ago the ping was much lower before the undersea fibre cut (between Perth and Singapore), but that cable has long been fixed but the ping has stayed high.

I have to resort to connecting via Wifi -> Mobile Wifi (Voda) which seems to route directly from Perth to Singapore, giving me 90ms ping (and that's wifi connecting to mobile wifi)

Can TPG check your routing table or something, surely going via Perth to SG is something standard given how close AU is to South East Asia

dccamero
Level 2

Hi, sorry for the late response,

Yeah Net speeds overall are great,  no complaints there. Overall tpg has been brilliant.

I am using a wired connection 60ms to Sydney 150/250~ms to singapore.

I am playing Dota2, I have jumped on and off of the connections and just checked the ping in game.

No real Technical tests done tbh.

dccamero
Level 2

Hi, sorry for the late response,

Yeah Net speeds overall are great, no complaints there. Overall tpg has been brilliant.

I am using a wired connection 60ms to Sydney 150/250~ms to singapore.

I am playing Dota2, I have jumped on and off of the connections and just checked the ping in game.

No real Technical tests done tbh.

Riezl

Are you able to run a Ping and Traceroute tests @dccamero?

boonhowe
Level 3

I can help with that, where do you want to tracert to?

Shane

Hi @dccamero,

Please run a traceroute and post the screenshot of the test result in this thread.

Shane

Hi @boonhowe,

PM us your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file together with the actual screenshot of traceroute result.

I see this happening too.

Pings to Singapore game servers (e.g. Overwatch, BF5) is around 300 (from Perth).

Tracert shows traffic going from Perth->Sydney->Japan->Taiwan->Singapore

Pretty sure 3-4 years ago the ping was much lower before the undersea fibre cut (between Perth and Singapore), but that cable has long been fixed but the ping has stayed high.

I have to resort to connecting via Wifi -> Mobile Wifi (Voda) which seems to route directly from Perth to Singapore, giving me 90ms ping (and that's wifi connecting to mobile wifi)

Can TPG check your routing table or something, surely going via Perth to SG is something standard given how close AU is to South East Asia

Shane

Hi @boonhowe & @dccamero,

If you’re in  Australia, but playing on an American or Asian server, your latency will be higher because the geographical distance creates a delay between information being sent from an Australian client-side (player’s) connection before it’s received and relayed from the American server.

Connecting or Playing to a Game server not designated to your area will affect a high latency issue particularly if the Game Developer itself made a specific Server in every location such as SEA / NA Servers etc.