Welcome to the community!
I was able to locate your account using your community details. I ran initial test and it shows your modem/router was successfully auto-configured your service is now connected for 20h 16m.
Let me know should you require further assistance.
Thanks guys, it's working.
To all who's looking for how it worked for me (not sure whether it would work or not but..)
Modem was V1600 provided by TPG.
All lights were green after the technician made the connection. (but no internet for many hours..!!)
Later had a call from TPG & it was a simple fix.
Log on 192.168.1.1 (or the webpage on tpg).
On the left hand side - got to Network - DNS
On the main screen - there would be two options - select the "Modify / Edit" logo on second option - pppoE or something similar.
Once you click modify - Remove the tpg@tpg address and key in your credentials. That's it - it's all done.
Sorry I didn't had screenshots while posting this message..!