TPG Community

Get online support

Marked slowdown in Mobile Broadband speed

AnnaLP
Level 2

I live in Hamilton South and for the last couple of years have had a home wireless broadband connection with you using a TP-link AX 5400 which TPG supplied.  Until 2-3 weeks ago speeds were pretty good, with a green light on the modem most of the time; now they are poor - so much so that when I tried to use a speed test site this morning it timed out.  FB images take a while to load when browing and YT is unusable most of the time.  Along with this drop in speed the light on the modem is red most of the time, yellow about 25% of the time and I've only seen it green when I've been up at 2am.  We've not moved the modem, not changed the computers nor had any work done on the house.  No noticeable changes to the neighbours.  Their are no reported outages to Vodaphone in the area (I can't check myself, my phone is Telstra).

Any idea what the problem is and what we can do to fix it?

Anna

4 REPLIES 4
BasilDV

Hi @AnnaLP 

What troubleshooting have you tried so far?

Have you tried to reboot and factory reset the modem/router?

If not, try it first. Also, relocate it near a window, but not directly to the sunlight.

BasilDV

AnnaLP
Level 2

Hi Basil,

Given that the router speeds are OK at 2am I suspect a network problem rather than a problem with my modem itself.  I have tried the following with the modem:

I've rebooted the modem multiple times.  I've not done a factory reset - will I have to reload my connection information if I do?  I've also rebooted both our computers several times.

wrt position in the room / house; please note that I went through all that when I first set the modem up.  I've redone it over the last day or 2; the position I have had it in still has the best reception.  It's on the wall on the side of the house closest to the phone tower.  We don't have any windows in that wall; when I move it close to a window in another wall performance degrades further.  

BasilDV

Hi @AnnaLP 

Once you press the reset button, the settings you've changed or personalised will go back to default, but the internet will reconnect automatically.

What time does it usually start to slow down?

Kindly send us a private message with your account details for checking.

BasilDV

AnnaLP
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV 

I've sent you a private message with my account number.  I won't have time to reboot the modem until tomorrow because the modem password, Wifi name and password are customised and we have people visiting today.

Internet speeds are worst on weekdays (red light on modem, standard images will not load) between about 0730 & 1000 & again 1500-2100.  We get a green light between about midnight and 0500 when I'm up briefly, I haven't used the computer, just walked past the modem.  Otherwise poor but with a yellow light on the modem, browing with load images although you can see them loading one at a time and YT vids on standard definition will stop during play to catch up.  We don't use Netflix nor any other video streaming other than short YT vids.

Please note that until about the end of May speeds where pretty good, then they degraded suddenly and have stayed at about the same level since.