TPG Community

Get online support

NBN HFC Dropping Out

SOLVED Go to solution
george7
Level 3

We recently had NBN installed on the premises on April 7th. The speeds have been as expected but we've had significant issues with the reliability of our connection. Dropouts have been hapening frequently every day and can range from 1-15 mins. We also had a bigger dropout yesterday at around 3:20pm which lasted over an hour. These dropouts are majorly affecting our ability to work from home, really dissastisfied with the service so far.

When the dropout happens connection to the gateway is still fine but we cannot ping out. The internet light on our Archer VR1600v router goes out and on occasion lights on the NBN modem will also flicker. When checking from the TP link GUI I can see Internet Status as 'Disconnected' and it prompts: "Please check if your phone cable is properly connected." In the system log on the router I can see a bunch of PPP errors when the dropout occurs, as well as error 'EWAN link down'. I've tried reseating all the cables but the issue persists. Symptoms look similar to several other posts including: https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/NBN-HFC-Drop-outs/td-p/26558

After battling for over an hour we managed to open a ticket yesterday but are yet to receive a response back (ticket # 10422735). Please advise.

As I'm writing this we experienced another dropout at ~11:20am.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
george7
Level 3

The 4th NBN engineer came and checked the cables. Instead of just performing a health check from his device he also looked at the infrastructure on the street. He said that a lot of HFC is 10-20 year old cabling as this is typically used by Foxtel/Cable users. He replaced some connectors from the street side which appeared to be very old.

That was a week ago, haven't had a dropout since. Fingers crossed.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
PeterW

Hello from TPG,
Thank you for contacting us, for verification purposes can you please send me a private message (PM) by clicking on my name and provide the following information:
Username
Full Name
Full Address
D.O.B.
I will reply ASAP on receipt of the above.
Regards
PeterW
My TPG app for IOS and Android - https://www.tpg.com.au/download

george7
Level 3

I've PM'd you the requested details.

PeterW

Thanks Tom for verifying your details.

Please give me a moment to run some checks.

PeterW

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your patience, I have run some test on your connection which have all passed.

Are you able to send me a photo of your modem and nb box as they currently are

Regards

PeterW

george7
Level 3

Hi Peter,

Yes right now the internet is back on but it has dropped out three times today: 9am (~10min), 10:20am (~12min), 11:19 (~11min). This is an intermittent issue but it's causing a lot of pain as it is random. We've had work calls over VOIP dropping out because of these random drops. 

When the dropout occurs the router loses the internet light per below image. The NBN box will sometimes flicker on downstream, upstream and online lights too.

george7
Level 3

"Thanks Tom,

I can see the problem is with your NBN box (Arris box) as you should have 4 lights on.

Before I escalate this across I would like you to do are hard reset of the NBN box by inserting a paperclip or similar into the tiny hole at the rear of the box.

Hold it in firmly until all of the lights go off ( about 20-30 sec)  then remove the paperclip.

Wait for the NBN box to reboot with all 4 lights.

Please let me know how you go."

I've performed the reset on Arris box and will continue to monitor the connection this afternoon.

moogcity87
Level 2

I have also been experiencing the exact same issues over the past 2 weeks, but now the internet is competely unavailable! Also on NBN HFC

PeterW

Thanks Tom,

If all okay please press the solved button to close the enquiry

Thanks for being a part of the TPG Community

Regards

PeterW

george7
Level 3

@PeterW unfortunately this has not resolved the issue. Just had another dropout this morning at 9:27am, please see attached.

Please escalate this across for follow up. We received a message on the ticket that an onsite technician would be coming this weekend - would appreciate if you could confirm this.

IMG_20200417_092920.jpgScreen Shot 2020-04-17 at 9.28.37 am.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-17 at 9.27.34 am.png