NBN HFC Dropping Out

SOLVED Go to solution
PeterW

Good morning Tom,

Thanks for staying in touch, sorry the reset yesterday didn't help, usually it would.

I ran some tests this morning  which came back with good results and a good speed. I have requested an escalation to NBN to investigate which I notice has also been done by another section. Can't confirm the weekend appointment as it will be with NBN.

are you using the WiFi - 5g network to run your speed tests if not switch to that network and run the speed test again

Regards

PeterW

george7
Level 3

@PeterW yes we're using 5Ghz WiFi, our speeds are fine and connection to the gateway is stable – the issue is our internet keeps dropping out randomly. It's dropped out on us so many times this morning to the point we're just relying on our mobile data.

I've no idea what tests you're doing but obviously it's not checking the uptime of our connection. We will wait for the technician to test the lines and advise from there.

PeterW

Hi Tom,

There is certainly an issue in the NBN network, it has already been escalated to NBN for investigation

Thanks for using the TPG Community

Regards

PeterW

george7
Level 3
NBN Technician came out today and discovered there was a fault with the lines. Previous tech who performed the install had attenuated the signal by several dB which was putting us slightly off the optimal range. Lines are now reading good according to tech.

I will monitor the internet over the next week to confirm. Hopefully there will be no further issues.
george7
Level 3

A couple hours after NBN tech left internet started dropping out again – more ppp3 errors in logs. Last dropout occurred at 12:11pm. Please see attached.

As I've mentioned before often when the dropouts occur only the Internet light on the Archer router goes out. All the other lights including those on the Arris box are fine. Is it possible this is an issue with the new Archer 1600 router TPG has provided?

We need this resolved ASAP as we're all working from home. @PeterW please advise.

PeterW

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your message, your modem has lost its settings and needs to be re-configured.

Can you please do the following:

1: Connect to the modems WiFi network with a PC, Laptop, Tablet or phone

2: Open a browser (Chrome, Safari etc)

3: Go to http://tplinkmodem.net or http://192.168.1.1

4: Login to the modem using User = admin Password = admin (case sensitive)

5: Click on Quick Setup and follow the Wizard

Your user name is - adsluhbc

Your password is - adsluhbc (yes its the same)

That should work - good luck

If it doesn't work hard reset the TPG modem with a paperclip inserted into the reset hole at the rear of the modem, hold in in firmly until all of the lights go off then release the paperclip and allow the modem to reboot and repeat the above.

Please let me know how you go.

Regards

PeterW

PeterW

Here is a link to download the modems manual:

https://setuprouter.com/router/tp-link/archer-vr1600v/manual-2515.pdf

george7
Level 3

"Your modem has lost its settings and needs to be re-configured" – No, it hasn't lost any settings. The upstream connection drops and then it can't assign an IP. If the settings were lost from the router then we wouldn't have any connectivity at all, period. I performed the reset anyway and reconfigured, as expected it did nothing. I also tried resetting the NBN box and changing the ethernet cable for a sturdior Cat 6 cable – did nothing. The dropouts are still occurring.

We're now 2 weeks into the NBN with a flaky connection and it's causing issues for everyone working from home. 3 Dropouts this morning, last dropout occurred around 10:20am. I want this escalated, this is unnacceptable. @PeterW please advise.

george7
Level 3

Another thing to note is that whenever the internet drops out so does our home phone – does not call out to any numbers.

george7
Level 3

Second NBN technician came out today to assess the connection. He told me that the lines are fine and that we could try attach an attenuator to the line in the event we have a drop out. I was absolutely bewildered. The last technician said that the issue was caused because there was an attenuator on the line, contradictory to previous advice. Either way, tech is saying that our line is in the acceptable dB range.

As I've said repeatedly, when we have the dropouts we only lose the internet light from the router. Lights on the NBN box are fine. Is this not an issue then with the router? @PeterW please advise.

I'm hoping for a reply on here as your support chat is useless. Cannot get a response at all. Is there no support portal I can manage open tickets from?