TPG Community

Get online support

NBN Slow and dropout

alan_chan55
Level 3

Hi 

The speed of my TPG NBN 50 dropped to 15 with interruption of wifi and telephone for the past 6 months and more so the last 8 weeks. Only last week I had the two visits by NBN technicians checking the line and terminating all the extension in the house and checking cable run from the pit to the wall. The Speed rescovered to 46-48 for 2 days and dropped to 28. TPG tech came and all confirmed that there was not issues with wiring and hardward and his test reading waas below 24. 6 months ago suspected that it could be the modem and TPG charged me for a replacement modem. There was no improvement with the replacement modem as I was getting wifi interruption watching Netflix, Spotify and the Solar Panel monitoring.  I had 2 wifi mesh installed to maintain the same signal strength through out the house. Some days the speed dropped to 18-20

NBN Tech showed me the NBN output at the NBN Device was 103 and there is not wiring or hardware problem on their part. 

It is quite annoying for a customer when neither NBN or TPG is taking ownship of the slow NBN speed and dropout. My part I have paid for a replacement TP Link and installed 2 wifi mesh also subscript your NBN50 package

It would be nice to know how the NBN speed is controlled and why there is such a variation from 18 to 48. I can understand that the speed could drop to 40 during heavy traffic. Perhaps you could let your customers know if 18-20 speed is an industry acceptable standard

Thanks

Alan Chan

28 REPLIES 28
Shane

Hi @alan_chan55 ,

Thanks for raising this to us. Please understand that actual throughput speeds may be slower and could vary due to many factors including type/source of content being downloaded, hardware and software configuration, the number of users simultaneously using the network and performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by TPG. Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable.

If you're having speed issues with those devices connected via Wi-Fi it could be a Wireless Interference we did articles that you may find helpful on how to prevent dropouts and improve the Wireless connection speed on the network.

See links below.

If you wish to get the actual speed of the service, please run a speed test using a desktop/laptop connected via LAN/Ethernet cable and post the test result on this thread together with the speed test result using wireless devices to get the difference of both test results. 

Regards,

@alan_chan55 wrote:

Hi 

The speed of my TPG NBN 50 dropped to 15 with interruption of wifi and telephone for the past 6 months and more so the last 8 weeks. Only last week I had the two visits by NBN technicians checking the line and terminating all the extension in the house and checking cable run from the pit to the wall. The Speed rescovered to 46-48 for 2 days and dropped to 28. TPG tech came and all confirmed that there was not issues with wiring and hardward and his test reading waas below 24. 6 months ago suspected that it could be the modem and TPG charged me for a replacement modem. There was no improvement with the replacement modem as I was getting wifi interruption watching Netflix, Spotify and the Solar Panel monitoring.  I had 2 wifi mesh installed to maintain the same signal strength through out the house. Some days the speed dropped to 18-20

NBN Tech showed me the NBN output at the NBN Device was 103 and there is not wiring or hardware problem on their part. 

It is quite annoying for a customer when neither NBN or TPG is taking ownship of the slow NBN speed and dropout. My part I have paid for a replacement TP Link and installed 2 wifi mesh also subscript your NBN50 package

It would be nice to know how the NBN speed is controlled and why there is such a variation from 18 to 48. I can understand that the speed could drop to 40 during heavy traffic. Perhaps you could let your customers know if 18-20 speed is an industry acceptable standard

Thanks

Alan Chan

Shane

Hi @alan_chan55,

Thanks for the additional details. Please send us your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) so we can proceed with further investigation.

For reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards,

Hi Shane

This were the results of the test attached all from hardwired laptop readings

Alan Chan

http://tpg.speedtestcustom.com/result/51b4f970-fba2-11ea-9303-c3dec77e0ea2

http://tpg.speedtestcustom.com/result/8824a530-fae1-11ea-9a46-73d36f6c5c67

http://tpg.speedtestcustom.com/result/b48bf9a0-fb4c-11ea-8d2b-e92944e9a9a3

alan_chan55
Level 3

Hi Shane

I have reported this problem since 13 Mar 20 and each time I dont think much was done as the standard answer was a test done and the system was normal the case is closed. After all the dropout of phone calls and wifi,  I had to pay for a loan modem but this did not change the slow and dropout. I had to send photo of a dead NBN box and Modem during a dropout before action was taken

31 Aug 20   NBN Tech terminated home phone wall phone socket and confirmed that the system was normal with a speed of 44-47 

the next week the speed dropped 18- 25 with phone and wifi dropout

18 Sep 20   NBN Tech checked the connection from the pit to the house and also cut and re-connect the link at the phone box. Checked the wall socket connection for the NBN device. The speed test performed at the NBN device was 100 and on the modem was 40-46

20 Sep 20 the speed dropped to 18-20 and wifi dropped out

21 Sep TPG Tech did a check on the modem and the speed was 22 and he confirmed the speed using his work modem.

Your Staff Jay called twice and the speed has maintained 50 for the last 2 days.

This leaves me to wonder after 6 months, termination of phone wall socket and wiring check from the pit to house socket did not fixed the system, what further action was done to give me the assurance that the problem is cleared. TPG standard is after two days the file is closed till next fault report

After all the problem since Mar 20 the system has been stabled the last 2 days. Question is for how long

I must say some of your TPG staff were quite helpful but others just trying to get rid of me hoping the issue will go away with the standard answer the test showed the system is normal even with the attached TPG speed test showing the speed, time and date.

I sincerely hope all this can be resolved. I subscripted your NBN50 package and the usual speed varies between 15 -38. Only the last 3 days the speed has been 48-50 and wifi has been stable. This has been going on since Mar 20. 

Alan Chan

Customer xxxxxx

Shane

Hi @alan_chan55,

Thanks for sharing additional information related to the escalated issue. I was able to locate the account using the posted details and confirmed that there has been an internal wiring issue that caused the speed issue with the service. We'll keep an eye on the service and in the event that you'll experience another speed issue do not hesitate to raise it to us so we can perform immediate investigations.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards, 

Hi Shane

I have reported this problem since 13 Mar 20 and each time I dont think much was done as the standard answer was a test done and the system was normal the case is closed. After all the dropout of phone calls and wifi,  I had to pay for a loan modem but this did not change the slow and dropout. I had to send photo of a dead NBN box and Modem during a dropout before action was taken

31 Aug 20   NBN Tech terminated home phone wall phone socket and confirmed that the system was normal with a speed of 44-47 

the next week the speed dropped 18- 25 with phone and wifi dropout

18 Sep 20   NBN Tech checked the connection from the pit to the house and also cut and re-connect the link at the phone box. Checked the wall socket connection for the NBN device. The speed test performed at the NBN device was 100 and on the modem was 40-46

20 Sep 20 the speed dropped to 18-20 and wifi dropped out

21 Sep TPG Tech did a check on the modem and the speed was 22 and he confirmed the speed using his work modem.

Your Staff Jay called twice and the speed has maintained 50 for the last 2 days.

This leaves me to wonder after 6 months, termination of phone wall socket and wiring check from the pit to house socket did not fixed the system, what further action was done to give me the assurance that the problem is cleared. TPG standard is after two days the file is closed till next fault report

After all the problem since Mar 20 the system has been stabled the last 2 days. Question is for how long

I must say some of your TPG staff were quite helpful but others just trying to get rid of me hoping the issue will go away with the standard answer the test showed the system is normal even with the attached TPG speed test showing the speed, time and date.

I sincerely hope all this can be resolved. I subscripted your NBN50 package and the usual speed varies between 15 -38. Only the last 3 days the speed has been 48-50 and wifi has been stable. This has been going on since Mar 20. 

Alan Chan

Customer xxxxxx

alan_chan55
Level 3
Hi Shane
Thanks for your confidence that termination of telephone sockets in the the house is the fix. However, the speed dropped for 46 to 25 on the second day after two NBN techs checking the wiring.

You can understand what puts me off was talking to TPG staff over the past 7 months, quite of few just avoid the issue as 'beyond TPGs control', no ownership of a fault issue. As a your customer NBN is totally foreign to us

Hope I do not have to trouble further

Thanks

Alan Chan

alan_chan55
Level 3

Hi

For the last two weeks I habe been having drop outs and unstable speed ranching from 25 to 52 download. this morning I have three interruptions and I could not even call your TPG line at 11.43 as I was cut off during conversation. the NBN box had only two botton light on steady at each drop out. 

The internet drop out was very apparant on watching Netflix and YouTube. Tried calling TPG and was cut off by the drop out twice. 

Grateful if you can look into this

Thanks

Alan  

@alan_chan55 wrote:
Hi Shane
Thanks for your confidence that termination of telephone sockets in the the house is the fix. However, the speed dropped for 46 to 25 on the second day after two NBN techs checking the wiring.

You can understand what puts me off was talking to TPG staff over the past 7 months, quite of few just avoid the issue as 'beyond TPGs control', no ownership of a fault issue. As a your customer NBN is totally foreign to us

Hope I do not have to trouble further

Thanks

Alan Chan

Ahra_G

Hi @alan_chan55

A member from our Technical team has tried contacting you today to no avail. 

May I know the best time to contact you? 

Thanks! 

alan_chan55
Level 3
Alan Chan <pelikat@gmail.com>
16:05 (1 hour ago)

to techops@tpg.com.au, Helpdesk

Hi
I just had two call 15.50 and line was cut. It was a call from TPG followed by SMS message.

Attached is my reply as the line was cut when I picked up the phone. I am waiting for your call

Internet not stable two calls in the past 5 mins and cut. 0298500800.  Try again the Internet may hold to established a phone connection 

Looking your internet is not stable even to establish a phone connection.I am still waiting for your call since 16.00

Alan