NBN Speed

Michealb
Level 3

Hi,

Today we had an NBN tech come and check the line due to our low speeds. We are on NBN 50 plan, and after he completed works we were downloading at 28mbps. He showed the line is capable of 66mbps download, so what would be the reason we are not acheiving closer to the 50mbps we are paying for?

He did show us on his phone that TPG are giving us a 12.5mbps plan? Which makes no sense as we are paying for 50mbps plan, and achieving high 20s. So essentially our line is now capable of the speeds we are paying for, but we arent getting them. 

Thanks,

Micheal.

3 REPLIES 3
Shane

Hi @Michealb ,

Thanks for raising this to us. What device is used using the speed test?  Actual throughput speeds may be slower and could vary due to many factors including type/source of content being downloaded, hardware and software configuration, the number of users simultaneously using the network and performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by TPG. Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable

In the event that you're getting a slow connection on device(s) connecetd via Wi-Fi it could be caused by a Wireless Interference, we did an article that you may find helpful this will guide you on how to improve the wireless connectio nat home.

If you wish to test the actual speed on the line, we recommend to run a speed test using a desktop/laptop connected via LAN/Ethernet cable.

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

@Michealb wrote:

Hi,

Today we had an NBN tech come and check the line due to our low speeds. We are on NBN 50 plan, and after he completed works we were downloading at 28mbps. He showed the line is capable of 66mbps download, so what would be the reason we are not acheiving closer to the 50mbps we are paying for?

He did show us on his phone that TPG are giving us a 12.5mbps plan? Which makes no sense as we are paying for 50mbps plan, and achieving high 20s. So essentially our line is now capable of the speeds we are paying for, but we arent getting them. 

Thanks,

Micheal.

Michealb
Level 3

Hi,

Speed tests were done via speed testing websites, both wired and wireless whilst the tech was here. He specifically said during his tests with his device the line is capable of 66mbps, but on his device it was showing our provider was giving us a 12.5/1 plan. Which seems odd to me as we get better speeds than that, but not even close to the 50 we pay for.

The tech advised we speak to our provider about this as there is no reason we shouldnt be getting maximum speeds on our plan, and perhaps there is an issue on TPG's end. Previous to the line being fixed we were getting 35-40mbps... and the NBN tech told us once works are completed, we will acheive speeds we are paying for. Works are completed, and now we have actually lost speed with what should be a better connection. So I feel the limiting factor must be TPG.

I will pm my account details if you could look into this please, and perhaps advise why we have lost speed and not achieving what NBN have said we are capable of.

Thanks,

Micheal.

Shane

Hi @Michealb ,

Thanks for sending me your details. We will chase this to our Complaints Resolution Case Manager handling this case and to our Engineering Team for additional reference on the ongoing investigation for the escalated fault.

Expect an updates within 24-48hrs via SMS or Phone call.

Regards,

@Michealb wrote:

Hi,

Speed tests were done via speed testing websites, both wired and wireless whilst the tech was here. He specifically said during his tests with his device the line is capable of 66mbps, but on his device it was showing our provider was giving us a 12.5/1 plan. Which seems odd to me as we get better speeds than that, but not even close to the 50 we pay for.

The tech advised we speak to our provider about this as there is no reason we shouldnt be getting maximum speeds on our plan, and perhaps there is an issue on TPG's end. Previous to the line being fixed we were getting 35-40mbps... and the NBN tech told us once works are completed, we will acheive speeds we are paying for. Works are completed, and now we have actually lost speed with what should be a better connection. So I feel the limiting factor must be TPG.

I will pm my account details if you could look into this please, and perhaps advise why we have lost speed and not achieving what NBN have said we are capable of.

Thanks,

Micheal.