NBN vs ADSL2

cmatts
Level 2

Hi All,

I’ve been a long term TPG customer and happily using unlimited ADSL2 in Hampton East (Victoria) for $60 a month. My family are soon relocating to Mornington (Victoria) where the NBN is apparently already up and running.

Call me a sceptic, but I am preferring to stick with the same ADSL2 plan rather than move over to the NBN. My questions being:

1. Is it possible to still opt for ADSL2 with TPG if the suburb has NBN up and running?

2. Anybody living in Mornington able to confirm if they think the NBN is better speed wise than ADSL2?!

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
EvilClown
Level 3

I would say if the area is NBN ready the copper line service will be terminated at some stage.
Is NBN any better than ADSL2? In my opinion, YES and NO! I could not get any better speed than 8Mbps using ADSL due to the fact I was 4k's from the exchange. Now on fixed wireless NBN I can get 20Mbps but I do pay more. But my son who was on ADSL was getting 25Mbps because he was living within 1k of the exchange. The speed drops a lot, the more K's it has to travel through copper lines.. 

cmatts
Level 2

@EvilClownwrote:

I would say if the area is NBN ready the copper line service will be terminated at some stage.
Is NBN any better than ADSL2? In my opinion, YES and NO! I could not get any better speed than 8Mbps using ADSL due to the fact I was 4k's from the exchange. Now on fixed wireless NBN I can get 20Mbps but I do pay more. But my son who was on ADSL was getting 25Mbps because he was living within 1k of the exchange. The speed drops a lot, the more K's it has to travel through copper lines.. 

Thanks for the feedback @EvilClown 

Suspected that might be the case too re termination. Good feedback on the differences too. I’ll study up on where the exchanges are, and make a short term decision. Where I am now (Hampton EastJ ADSL2 is easily doing the job - streaming movies, playing PS4 games online etc, never with an issue.