TPG Community

Get online support

NBN100 - downstream speed is down 10%

vagrant1779
Level 3

Hi
I had nbn installed recently.

For the first few weeks, speedtest results were averaging 80-82mbps down / 31-32mbps up.

Sometime last week it has dropped to 74-75 down, 28-29 up, and stayed there since.
It's not a huge drop.. but I'm wondering what could cause this?
Nothing has changed here, I've power-cycled the router many times and only using ethernet.

16 REPLIES 16
Shane

Hi @vagrant1779 ,

Welcome to the community!

Please post a screenshot of the speed test result on this thread. We'd like to confirm if the speed issue occurs on the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi. If so, we did an article that you may find helpful. This will guide you on how to improve your wireless connection at home. Feel free to visit the link below.

Let us know how it will go.

vagrant1779
Level 3

Hi Shane, not using wifi at all, only ethernet direct to pc. Speeds have dropped from 82/32 to 75/29 and have been that way since last week.

Riezl

Hi @vagrant1779, Is this the only device connected when you run the speed test? Have you checked if there are programs running on the PC background that may consume a bandwidth?

vagrant1779
Level 3

Hi, yes it's the only device connected and no other processes are running, other then chrome conducting the speed test.
Since FTTN has been available for only a very short time here, is it possible the sync speed is getting lower because more houses are connecting to the node?

This is the current stats of the modem:

Current Rate (kbps)3159782350
Max Rate (kbps)3176885470

And here is a current speed test:

Shane

Hi @vagrant1779,

The slight speed degradation you're getting with the service might be affected by the modem/router's connection to our network. If the modem has been connected more than 3-5 days now you may experience slow connection. Have you tried rebooting the actual modem?

If this has been done, to better understand the status of the speed of your service. We'd like to get your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

Cheers!

vagrant1779
Level 3

Sure, I have tried rebooting the router many times. I've PM'd you my account details Smiley Happy 

Shane

Hi @vagrant1779,

Thanks for sending me your details. We ran an initial test of the service it shows getting a passing speed on the line, we also noticed that the modem/router has been stable for 2d 2h 9m. For testing purposes, turn off the modem/router for 3-5mins and turn it back on. Once the connection re-established re-run another speed test and post the test result on this thread.

Cheers!

vagrant1779
Level 3

Thanks for looking into this Smiley Happy I rebooted the router after leaving it off 5+ minutes and here is the result.. slightly higher but still in the same ballpark.

Shane

Hi @vagrant1779,

Thanks for the additional details. Please try to run a speed test on the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi for comparative testing.

Once it's done, also try to isolate the Desktop/PC connected alone (disconnect all Wi-Fi device to the network) and run another speed test and post the test results on this thread.

Cheers!