TPG Community

Get online support

Packet loss during online gaming

karakoyunn
Level 2

Hi there,

I have been having packet loss during online games since I am signed up with TPG, it has been almost 2 years. I always thought this problem is unsolvable and was planning changing my ISP so never asked for support before. Hoepfully there is a solution. 

The game I play is FIFA 21 on Xbox with WIFI. The ping is good around 18. I tried using a cable but the ping goes higher with cable so I use WIFI.

During play of video game, the game suddenly freezes up and lags out before coming good again, this last usually about 3-5 seconds at a time. 

This happens very often, one online match lasts around 18 minutes and my game freezes roughly about 1-3 times during every game. 

This just happens to me, the opponent keeps playing as normal. 

Is there something we can do or should I look for a better and faster service?

Thank you,

Korhan

1 REPLY 1
Shane

Hi @karakoyunn,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us. Are there other games on XBOX affected with this issue? If this is the only game affected it could be a game server issue, also please confirm the Server/Region of the game.

How long is the Ethernet cable you used to connect the XBOX to the modem/router? Connecting the Game Console via LAN/Ethernet cable should give you the most stable connection compare to Wi-Fi connection, it is possible that the Ethernet/LAN cable is damaged, I recommend to try different LAN cable if its available and post the screenshot of the latency in-game on this thread for comparative test.

It is also possible that sudden packet loss is caused by Wireless Interference, we did an article that you may find helpful, please see the link below.

Let us know how it will go.

Hi there,

I have been having packet loss during online games since I am signed up with TPG, it has been almost 2 years. I always thought this problem is unsolvable and was planning changing my ISP so never asked for support before. Hoepfully there is a solution. 

The game I play is FIFA 21 on Xbox with WIFI. The ping is good around 18. I tried using a cable but the ping goes higher with cable so I use WIFI.

During play of video game, the game suddenly freezes up and lags out before coming good again, this last usually about 3-5 seconds at a time. 

This happens very often, one online match lasts around 18 minutes and my game freezes roughly about 1-3 times during every game. 

This just happens to me, the opponent keeps playing as normal. 

Is there something we can do or should I look for a better and faster service?

Thank you,

Korhan