TPG Community

Get online support

Poor speeds on my new FTTN 100Mbps connection

ajayesuria
Level 2

I connected the 100Mbps & only get 32 - 35 Mbps during peak & off peak. I was expecting 85 - 100 Mbps. Any help would be greatly appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @ajayesuria . On FTTN, you can check the speed of the connection to the node from the DSL statistics in the router on the Advanced tab. A low speed here could be a line fault or you are too far from the node to get 100M. The db numbers and errors indicate line quality.

When you get 32-35, is that on ethernet computer or wifi device?

ajayesuria
Level 2
Thanks David. It’s on Ethernet & wifi connected devices using the TPG app and other speed test systems. The statistics page also shows slow max rate in thirties and no errors.
ajayesuria
Level 2
Further information has been received from Technical Support in the Phillipines. Apparently I’m now being told the property is only able to support a maximum speed of 37Mbps, which contradicts what I was told initially. I was told the property could support 100Mbps but would only possibly receive 85Mbps. I’m getting 1/3 the speed for the same price as 100Mbps 🤣🤣
david64
Level 15

@ajayesuria . It's worthwhile to find where your node is. There is a map online somewhere. Also this which has info on distance. If your max is 37M, you must be over 700m from node.

https://www.whistleout.com.au/Broadband/Guides/nbn-fttn-everything-you-need-to-know

The speeds in the table above are the maximum speeds you can get on these plans. However, according to NBN Co, your house will need to be no further than 400 metres from the node to achieve these speeds, and will not be able to achieve anything above NBN 100.

If your house is between 400 metres and 700 metres from the node, you may only be able to achieve speeds of up to 60Mbps, which is still fast enough to give you access to a plan on most NBN speed tiers, although you won't be able to achieve maximum speeds if you choose an NBN 100 plan.

If your house is more than 700 metres from the node, your NBN provider should not let you subscribe to an NBN 100 plan, as you won't get the speeds you're paying for.