TPG Community

Get online support

Really bad speeds and very high ping

Charlizd
Level 2

Hi all,

For Months now i have been having issues with Slow speed and super high Ping rates, i have had so many issues trying to get this resolved but due to my working hours and no 24/7 tech support it is hard to get something sorted out.

I originally came to TPG from somewhere else as my service with them was great for the first few months then it just went to crap and they could not fix or "find" an issue.

So here i am 6 months into my TPG setup and 4 months in i start experienceing the same crap a the other mob, slow speeds (only a fraction of what im supposed to get) and constant high pings (600+ to sydney servers only 4 hours away from me, hell they could be based in the states, the high ping is ludicrous)

So the time i have had to talk with Customer support i get the same old thing, speeds on our end seem fine....umm no, i am paying for a 100mb down connection, downloading at 1.5 mb/s is not normal, when i started out with you guys it was 10mb/s, 8mb/s on average.

At this present time as of writing this i am only able to connect via WiFi so i understand it is a little slower but to the point i cant even use Discord because im getting a 1200 ping to the U.S with a 50% packet loss it absolutely rediculous.

I was going to upload a screen grab of my speedtest.net but it just keeps timing out so i cant even get a proper read on that.

I guess im just ranting but also wanted to know if anyone else has had an issue like this because it just too coincidental to have 2 different ISP's go from good to bad within 3-4 months of use. and if you had issue how did you resolve it or get it resolved (in regards to the constant high ping and bad speeds) 

To add to this i practically live in a retirement village town on the mid north coast of NSW and my mian times on the internet are after midnight. As i am a game developer and my company is based in the states i tend to be up during out of peak times when the internet SHOULD be at its best but it isnt. Just so you know that its not a traffic congestion issue as im probably quite literally the only person in the area on at that time lol.

I will attach some tracerts i did under suggestion from someone at TPG. which you will see the 600 ping and one just taken from my discord.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as im at my wits end.

Cheers, 

Andrew

5 REPLIES 5
Charlizd
Level 2

Also wanted to just add i have tried all the usual restart the router crap yada yada yada, Not meaning to be rude just stating i have done all the typical troubleshooting stuff.

Riezl

We're sorry to know that you're having issues with the speed and we apologise for the inconvenience this is causing you, @Charlizd.

We have located the account using your community details and we can see that your concern has been escalated to our Engineering Team.

The case engineer tried to contact you yesterday, but to no avail.

We have forwarded your message to the team and we have advised the case engineer to contact you within the day to discuss the status of the case.

Let us know via PM should you have a preferred contact number and time.

Riezl

Hi, we can see that our Engineering Team tried to contact you, but to no avail.

Please provide us your next availability so we can advise the team to process a callback to discuss the status of the case.

Charlizd
Level 2

Hi, 

I will try contacting them tomorrow, i have recently got a cable and connected directly to the Modem and it instantly fixed the problem, i knew that was going to happen, i just did not want to have to run a cable through my living room - lounge room - office. Regardless, there is something obviously wrong with the Wifi within the modem tho, i have tried 3 diff wifi cards, 2 being brand new and get the same results. 

So in short imho the wifi on the modem is shot and if it is not then why am i getting 600+ ping on wifi 2ghz/5ghz and 23 on direct connection. Up untill a few weeks ago the Ping ws relatively normal via Wifi.

Anyways thanks for the respone, i will try contacting them tomorrow before work.
Regards, 

Andrew

Riezl

Thanks, @Charlizd. If the issue is wireless related, we recommend having a read of these community articles which may help improve the wireless connectivity performance:

Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Easy-Steps-to-Improve-Wi-Fi-Connection-In-Your-Hom...

Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it?
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Wireless-Channel-on-your-modem-what-is-it-and-why-...

Wi-Fi troubleshooting steps - No Internet/Connection
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Wi-Fi-troubleshooting-steps-No-Internet-Connection...

You may also try a different modem (borrow if possible) for comparative testing.

If you want, we can also organise someone from our Engineering Team to contact you today instead so there's no need for you to call, just PM us your best contact number and most convenient time to receive a call.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance. Thank you.