TPG Community

Get online support

Recent degraded ADSL2 speeds

SOLVED Go to solution
ndallen10
Level 2

Hello!

In the last week, my internet speed has dropped from an average of 11-13Mbps to around 3-6Mbps. 

In testing, it doesn't appear to be a congestion issue from covid like i'd originally assumed (the speed is still slow at 3am or 3pm). 

It isn't my hardware either - tested with another modem, and my neighbors report similar degradation of speed. Tests completed using both TPG's implementation of speedtest.net, and the native speed test. Also replicable on multiple devices and mix of wifi/cable. 

Could I trouble someone from support to check my line connectivity and let me know if there are any expected faults? (Your chat support is currently not working - 'too many connections!' error). 

There were works to install NBN line out front of my house, which may have caused issues for our copper perhaps. 

Thanks!

Nick

I cannot unfortunately get on to the chat line (comes up with 'all agents busy') 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

The decimal points didn't show on my screen, made me think they were high.

TPG can tell exact length of your cable. Mine is 1,101 metres and  I get 20Mbps so there may be some line condition. 

I dont think all your neighbours are busy at 3am.

Its suspicious that there's nbn work outside. Does your building have a utility room where your phone lines go through? You may be slated for NBN FTTB and some prelim work may have been done.

Still get the line checked.

I dont know how you can contact TPG. Either persist with online chat or make a new entry in this forum.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
David_M

Hi @ndallen10 

Thanks for your enquiry!

Please see the link below for ways to troubleshoot your speed issue.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Slow-speed-issue/ba-p/1197

Speed issues can be resolved by replacing a filter and other methods inside your home before escalating the issue.

Regards,

David_M

david64
Level 15

You might all be victims of "co-existence" but I don't understand fully.

Are your neighbours on adsl as well? 

With TPG or various?

Have you checked the physical line speed reported in your modem and SNR and attenuation?

You might take a chance and call Telstra. Say that nbn has done work in street and affecting multiple people.

ndallen10
Level 2

Thanks David!

Sorry for the confusion - re-reading I wasn't very clear!

I live in an apartment block, my neighbors are also on TPG ADSL 2+ 

On the modem, I can see the following information but don't have the knowledge to interpret it:

(first number downstream, second upstream) 

SNR Margin: 0.1dB - 61 / 58

Attenuation: 245 / 290

Output Power  --/128

Attainable Rate Kbps 11036 / 648

Interestingly, the 'Rate' reported by the modem gives two values: 

Path 0 Downstream: 10472 / 643 

Path 1 Downstream 3872 / 448

Path 1 reflects the speed I get from Speedtest.net, but path 0 is closer to what I used to get. 

david64
Level 15

A moderator has also posted a comment.

The SNR and Atten are pretty big  numbers. The ADSL2+ coverage map on TPGs home page will give you an idea of your top speed. The 11036 rate must put you a medium distance from the exchange.

I've never seen the path 0 path 1 thing before. What model modem do you have?

ndallen10
Level 2

Hi David, 

Doesn't show on my other modem either... it's a D-Link DSL-G225. Quick google shows my modem is an abberation so we can probably ignore the other path thing.

As the crow flies (in a car down the highway), it's about 800m from the DSLAM by that map. Cable must be much longer as the best I've seen is 13000kbps from this location, although 11-12 is more typical which lines up with the 'medium' distance as you say. 

Doing some reading, the SNR margin looks OK (6.1dB), the Attenuation (24DB is reasonably OK). This looks about right for the 12Mbps I used to get - this must be just too many of us on TPG in this building at present!

Do you think it's worth trying to get on to the techs to do a line attenuation check? 3Mbps all of a sudden does seem a little suspicious. 

david64
Level 15

The decimal points didn't show on my screen, made me think they were high.

TPG can tell exact length of your cable. Mine is 1,101 metres and  I get 20Mbps so there may be some line condition. 

Its suspicious that there's nbn work outside. Does your building have a utility room where your phone lines go through? You may be slated for NBN FTTB and some prelim work may have been done.

Still get the line checked.

I dont know how you can contact TPG. Either persist with online chat or make a new entry in this forum.

ndallen10
Level 2

Thanks David! 

I really appreciate you talking me through the things to check - I'll see if I can get on to the chat but I do recall NBN (FTTC, rather than FTTB... but may have changed) was slated some time over the next few months so this may be the issue. 

I'll try get into the utility room and see if I can find  somewhere to plug in prior to being distributed throughout the apartment to rule out some sort of new interference as well. 

I'll post back if I find anything, otherwise I'll close the post later this evening. 

I'd originally expected that, but there was one playing harmonica at 3am. Lockdown is doing weird things to my apartment block evidently!

Cheers,

Nick

david64
Level 15

Last thing.

Do you have the user guide for the G225? You can download it. 

This can also do VDSL2 (NBN). Look at anything on VDSL. It mentions path 0 and 1. You may be able to force the modem to path 0.

ndallen10
Level 2

Hi David, 

I set up a VDSL connection on path 0 but returned 'authenticated' /  'unconfigured'. Guess I'll wait to see what support comes up with (or wait the two months for NBN, might be faster than the current queue!) 

edit - checked the utility room - difference of ~0.5Mbps which can be explained by old copper wiring to the individual units, but nothing definitive.  It'll be something either congestion related or line issues / NBN issues outside my block. 

Thanks again - I'll mark as closed!

Cheers,

Nick