TPG Community

Get online support

Remote Management on Archer VR1600v NOT WORKING

racer_x
Level 3

On Jul 1, our VR1600v reset itself to factory defaults.

This router is at a remote location, so I drove 1 hour to fix it. I configured all the router again and everything was working fine once again.

Now, we pay an extra $10 per month for a fixed IP because we need to expose CCTV cameras so we can monitor the property.

This is done by port forwarding a number of WAN ports to a CCTV server on the internal LAN.

On Jul 2, this feature of port forwarding stopped working along with the ability to remote manage the router.

Under System Tools | Administration | Remote Management, I have the remote management enabled checkbox enabled. Please see the attached screenshot.

Here's the peculiar thing; I can access the router via this external IP when I am connected to the LAN.

When I try this from an external location, I am unable to.

Have TPG changed anything to their security settings to block remote access?

7 REPLIES 7
racer_x
Level 3
TPG mods can you comment on this https://www.marcelvarallo.com/some-more-fiddling-with-the-archer-vr1600v/

Can we get a different model of router?
PeterW

Hello racer_x,
Thank you for your message and for being a part of the TPG Community.
For verification purposes can you please send me a private message (PM) by clicking on my name and provide the following information:
• Username
• Full Name
• Full Address
• D.O.B.
• Telephone No.
I will reply ASAP on receipt of the above.
Regards
PeterW
How To Private Message within the TPG Community:
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Welcome/How-do-I-private-message-PM-in-the-community/m-p/4093#M45
My TPG app for IOS and Android - https://www.tpg.com.au/download

davidabramson
Level 2

Did you get an answer to this? It seems the remote management flag gets reset somehow?

fowlchicken
Level 2

The router is managed by a  CWMP (CPE WAN Management Protocol, also called TR-069) allows Auto-Configuration Server (ACS) to perform auto-configuration, provision, connection, and diagnostics to this device. So, it is possible that TPG is conneccting remotely and changing setings...

username: su

password: VExy!64a3ng

SteveK
Level 5

You just said how very concerned you were about security and the use of this password... and then go spam posting it all over the forum.

Md1
Level 2
Level 2

Disappointing in the lack of a closing response from the Moderator

Shane

Hi All,

Our security teams have recently identified some potentially suspicious activity relating to the VOIP phone settings of a small number of customers. Our security teams took pro-active steps to inhibit the activity by blocking the use of some ports on customer modems. On this particular case, It is likely that the port forwarding that OP is trying to accomplish was affected by the action of our security team. We recommend to change the default ports to any port number from 30000 to 40000 and let us know how it will go.

Regards,