TPG Community

Get online support

Sagemcom Fast 5866T bad wifi issue

minimoo
Level 2

We have used 5G broadband just over 3 months. We're happy with the bandwith and latency as we live in prime location with really good 5G so the speed is not an issue.

However the wifi keeps freezing, it would come back some time after but if we need the connection immediately I have to force restart the modem. When it freezes all the connection on wifi device still remains "connected" but actual connection hangs and become irresponsive. 

I have tried several steps to isolate & identify the problem. I have experience setting up mass APs at work so I tried to eliminate all minor issues.

1 Scanned all APs around and updated channels accordingly  

2 Adjusted power output 

3 Wired connection

4 Tried another AP

and I have come to a conclusion that this modem's AP is utter rubbish. 

1. after channel adjustment I have achieved the strongest signal possible but I knew this wasn't the problem. It is not drop out or quality issue, it literally freezes randomly. Sometime it requires several restarts for a day.

2. Power output change did nothing. 

3. There is a desktop connected via wired connection to the modem. It has never had internet problem.

4. I borrowed & hooked up one of the Unifi Wifi6 AP from work and the freezing issue was gone.

I think the modem gets overheated quite easily so tried moving it to shaded and well ventilated area but the issue is still present. (Well after all it occurs less I guess)

Is there firmware update or something I can try ? otherwise I will soon call TPG and request for a replacement.

3 REPLIES 3
minimoo
Level 2

So TPG has been absolutely useless. 

They have never called me about this issue but asking a bunch of basic questions, and not willing to offer replacement of the modem. 

What a rubbish they provide. 

minimoo
Level 2

So far I have received  3 modems inclduing the very first one I received and below is summary of the overall experience. They are all the same Sagemcom Fast 5866T modems as they don't have any other variant.

1st one - Runs ok. 5G connection ok (Signal Strength: -87dbm (stable value after several occassion of observing)) but frequent drop out of signal (Firmware version: SGJy00172)

2nd one - Was not connecting to 4G/5G at all (Signal Strength: -117dbm) and Wifi keeps completely shutting down everytime so it was even hard to monitor the signal strenght (Signal Strength: -117dbm (Firmware version: SGJy00058)

3rd one - Runs ok.5G connection ok. Overall same as the first modem but slightly worse result(Signal Strength: -92dbm(stable value after several occassion of observing)) (Firmware version was SGJy00058 but upgraded itself after first boot up to version: SGJy00172) 

Overall the 3rd modem is shwoing the same symptom as 1st one. Good speed upon restart then gradually lose speed in short period of time. My question is that why do I get this speed on this modem when my mobile phone (with Vodafone) get similar signal strength (-97dbm) the speed is fantastic. (about 400+mbps download speed)

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 6.23.27 pm.png

Now I'm starting to guess that this modem is utter useless or my speed is somehow overly being throttled down by the ISP somehow. (I'm on 50/20 mbps plan btw) All test was conducted with only single laptop connected to the modem.

Shane

One of the biggest factors affecting the speed of wireless home broadband is the wireless reception of the modem getting to the tower, particularly if it is affected by interference. Let us help check the history of the case; could you shoot us a PM with your details?

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

So far I have received  3 modems inclduing the very first one I received and below is summary of the overall experience. They are all the same Sagemcom Fast 5866T modems as they don't have any other variant.

1st one - Runs ok. 5G connection ok (Signal Strength: -87dbm (stable value after several occassion of observing)) but frequent drop out of signal (Firmware version: SGJy00172)

2nd one - Was not connecting to 4G/5G at all (Signal Strength: -117dbm) and Wifi keeps completely shutting down everytime so it was even hard to monitor the signal strenght (Signal Strength: -117dbm (Firmware version: SGJy00058)

3rd one - Runs ok.5G connection ok. Overall same as the first modem but slightly worse result(Signal Strength: -92dbm(stable value after several occassion of observing)) (Firmware version was SGJy00058 but upgraded itself after first boot up to version: SGJy00172) 

Overall the 3rd modem is shwoing the same symptom as 1st one. Good speed upon restart then gradually lose speed in short period of time. My question is that why do I get this speed on this modem when my mobile phone (with Vodafone) get similar signal strength (-97dbm) the speed is fantastic. (about 400+mbps download speed)

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 6.23.27 pm.png

Now I'm starting to guess that this modem is utter useless or my speed is somehow overly being throttled down by the ISP somehow. (I'm on 50/20 mbps plan btw) All test was conducted with only single laptop connected to the modem.