TPG Community

Get online support

Slow ADSL 2+ Speed even at 330 m from exchange

AshishP
Level 2

Hi,

I have been using TPG for more than 1 year now. I recently came acorss the TPG network coverage page and found that I should be getting much better speed. I get an average speed of 8 Mbps. I'm about 330m (line of sight). As per the statistics I should be getting 20Mbps. Below are my modem statistics. 

DownstreamUpstream
SNR Margin (dB)6.25.6
Attenuation (dB)1326
Output Power (dBm)20.512
Attainable Rate (Kbps)11184 kbps572 kbps
Rate (kbps)9824 kbps570 kbps
K (number of bytes in DMT frame)24527
R (number of check bytes in RS code word)1010
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)011
D (interleave depth)642
Delay (msec)125
FEC24065529
CRC30
Total ES20
Total SES00
Total UAS00

Today's rate is much better than every day. 

Can someone please help me know why i'm getting low speed?

Thanks

Ashish

6 REPLIES 6
Shane

Hi @AshishP,

Welcome to the community!

The higher sync rate the higher possible download speed you can get; however actual throughput speeds may be slower and could vary due to many factors including type/source of content being downloaded, hardware and software configuration, the number of users simultaneously using the network and performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by TPG. Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable.

I'd like to confirm if you get the sync rate details on your modem/router. I tried to use your community details to pull up the account unfortunately no match. To better understand the situation, I'd like to get your account details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file).

In case you need a reference: How to send a PM.

Cheers!

AshishP
Level 2

Hi @Shane,

Thanks for the information. I have shared my info via PM. Please help me with this.

Thanks

Ashish

Shane

Hi @AshishP,

Thanks for sending me your details. I ran initial tests and it shows the sync speed you're getting on the line is not normal on the other hand no line fault was detected. I woud like to arrange a call from one of our Technicians for further test and investigation.

PM me your best contact number and preferred time.

Cheers!

Shane

Hi @AshishP,

I've seen that you have been in contact with one of our Technicians and the connection issue has been escalated to our Engineering Team a Field Technician is scheduled to check your service on 02/12/18, 10am-2pm. Let me know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

AshishP
Level 2

Hi @Shane,

I'm now regretting posting in the community and asking for help. I wanted more speed, not reduced speed. TPG technician came and analysed the problem. He concluded that it is a problem with building cabling. He could get 20Mbps at the basement distribution box (MDF). But only 6Mbps from my router. He tried a lot to figureout where in my building there is a short in the cabling. But he couldn't. While I appreciate his efforts to find the fault in cabling, by the time he left i was only getting 3Mbps. I thought this was because it was Sunday Afternoon. Now its Monday morning 6 am and i'm still getting around 3Mbps or lower. I was not happy but atleast surviving with 6-8Mbps of speed. Now i'm doomed to get 3Mbps as TPG is not reponsible for my building cabling. My modem statistics are pasted below, along with a screenshot of speedtest results since Friday afternoon. 

DownstreamUpstream
SNR Margin (dB)9.3 8.7
Attenuation (dB)21 38
Output Power (dBm)20.5 12.5
Attainable Rate (Kbps)5032 kbps 264 kbps
Rate (kbps)3615 kbps 264 kbps
K (number of bytes in DMT frame)113 38
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 6 16
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)0 17
D (interleave depth) 32 1
Delay (msec) 7 4
FEC 4927 262144
CRC99 0
Total ES 84 0
Total SES 0 0
Total UAS 0 0

Thanks

Ashish

BasilDV

Hi @AshishP,

We've reviewed the account and learned that this case is already being handled by our Engineering team.

There was a TPG technician that visited your premises for investigation and found out that the internal wiring of your building is the one who's causing the issue. Based on the report, the technician was able to advised you about the issue and was told that you need to contact your building management for them to fix the wiring.

I will arrange a call from our Engineering team to discuss this further. Please shoot me a PM with your preferred time to be contacted today.

Kind regards,

BasilDV