Slow Internet

SOLVED Go to solution
liliangel1975
Level 2

This is continued from my previous thread which I accidentally marked as answered because of the slow internet (and I am not even kidding). You can find more in-depth details of my situation from my previous thread: https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/357   

My internet is so slow, my friend who recently got NBN received 25.8mp/s download and 36.7mp/s upload on a wireless connection. So I'm wondering why my internet is so slow with NBN and a direct connection by an ethernet cable. 

I have contacted TPG support and they gave me a new modem because my old one malfunctioned and i'm still getting slow speeds. I was downloading things at around 300kb/s on average today. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ozone
Level 3

@liliangel1975 wrote:

TPG said it was something to do with my upload speed, hence, i am planning on upgrading my speed which will improve my upload speed and i hope that will fix some issues i am having now.

I wonder what TPG tech support meant by that "upload speed" issue.

Have you recently run an antivirus/anti-malware scan using your antivirus software? It could be that your upload link is being exploited by viruses/malware lurking in your laptop. Downloads (and web browsing) come to a crawl during times of heavy upload activity.

In Windows 10, go to Task Manager > Performance tab > Ethernet. Leave your laptop idle and see if there's any significant Send traffic going on. You might have to look at that screen for a couple of minutes. Just have a cuppa while you're at it.

Also check if a member of your household is on a peer-to-peer network uploading files 24/7.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ozone
Level 3

@liliangel1975

What type of NBN do you have? Is it FTTN, FTTB, FTTP or HFC?

What is your new modem (brand and model number)? What was your old one?

liliangel1975
Level 2

According to Finder.com.au, my nbn type is FTTP

Also, the new loan modem is a Netcomm Wireless N300 Gigabit Router NF12, my old one is a Netcomm Wireless N300 GIgabit router NF7.

Thanks.

Ozone
Level 3

Based on the information and all the screenshots you've provided, you currently have a TPG NBN FTTP SL Bundle 12/1.

The plan you were placed on is the slowest speed available on NBN.

This is the NBN website's description of your plan:

Retail plans based on nbn™ 12 are suitable for households with basic phone or internet usage. nbn™ 12 is not considered a superfast broadband plan. nbn™ 12 may be similar to what many households or businesses in Australia may experience on ADSL2. Speak to your phone and internet provider about the plan that best suits your needs.

As per TPG's website, your plan's download speed is between 5Mbps to 12 Mbps, which means that your download rate is anywhere between 0.60 MB/s (megabytes per second) to 1.5 MB/s (megabytes per second)

Your speed test screenshots show downloads speeds of 1.9Mbps to 6.11Mbps, which means that you were downloading at a rate between 0.23 MB/s (megabytes per second) to 0.76 MB/s (megabytes per second).

In comparison, your friend who recently got NBN, as you said "received 25.8mp/s download and 36.7mp/s upload on a wireless connection."(sic) is probably on a 100 Mb/s service since the upload speed (36.7) is very close to 40 Mb/s.

Please do the following to improve your speed:

Run an antivirus/anti-malware scan using your antivirus software.

Do a speed test while firewalls/antivirus software is temporarily disabled.

Make sure that Windows 10 is not using a proxy server.
Right-Click on Start, select Settings and navigate to Network & Internet > Proxy.
Toggle the option Automatically detect settings to ON.
Toggle the option Use a proxy server to OFF.

Connect your PC/laptop to your NBN Network Termination Device (NTD) or NBN Connection Box using the modem's supplied Ethernet cable. Ensure that this cable is connected securely to PC/laptop's Ethernet port and to the NTD's UNI-D port. Refer to this guide: http://www.tpg.com.au/support/nbn/ntd

Advise us of the results.

liliangel1975
Level 2

Yes the proxy is off and i have done as you requested. I am still experiencing slow speeds. I understand that i have the slowest plan there is, but things don't get as close to those speeds. A recent test i did resulted in 2ms ping, 0.79mb/s download, and 0.80mb/s upload. The speeds at which pages load are really slow. It has been like this for a while. The speeds aren't getting better. Yesterday the internet was also as slow as it is now.

Ozone
Level 3

Hi liliangel75,

In that case, we need to know if the slowness of your internet is caused by your modem, your PC, or your NBN connection.

So let's remove the modem from the picture and connect your laptop straight to the NBN NTD and see if that gives you a better speed.

Please note that your modem plays a major role in connecting you to your TPG NBN service. It sends your login credentials (the TPG NBN service username and password) to TPG using a process called PPPoE so that you can connect to the internet.

By removing the modem, your laptop will now have to perform the PPPoE so that you can connect to the internet.

You will need the following for this:

• Ethernet cable that came with your TPG modem (hopefully it is long enough)
  • Laptop
  • Desk and chair
  • Access to the NBN NTD
  • Your TPG NBN username and password
  • Windows 10 PPPoE connection setup

But before anything else, please read through this excellent tutorial on how to set up the Windows 10 PPPoE connection on your laptop.

Let's start.

Go to your NBN NTD. Disconnect the cable plugged into UNI-D1.

Get your laptop and Ethernet cable. Connect one end of the cable to the NTD's UNI-D1 and the other end to your laptop. Make sure that the cable connection is secure and that your laptop will not fall to the ground. Ideal scenario is that your laptop is resting on a desk near the NBN NTD. Do not ever cradle the laptop on your arms while doing this. Use common sense and exercise prudence in handling your equipment. Do not proceed if your Ethernet cable is not long enough to make this possible.

Then refer to the tutorial above. Proceed with setting up the Windows 10 PPPoE connection.

Connect to the internet.

Get a screenshot of your speed test results and share it with us.

liliangel1975
Level 2

I have done that before, which did improve my situation. My old router somehow just stopped working so TPG gave me a new loan modem, which feels so much slower. I am planning on upgrading my plan to see if that works. I have been getting a few kb/s download speed days before, yesterday and today. TPG said it was something to do with my upload speed, hence, i am planning on upgrading my speed which will improve my upload speed and i hope that will fix some issues i am having now.

Also i no longer get download speeds of 1.4mb/s. This is kind of annoying me how i only get around 200kb/s at max.

Ozone
Level 3

@liliangel1975 wrote:

TPG said it was something to do with my upload speed, hence, i am planning on upgrading my speed which will improve my upload speed and i hope that will fix some issues i am having now.

I wonder what TPG tech support meant by that "upload speed" issue.

Have you recently run an antivirus/anti-malware scan using your antivirus software? It could be that your upload link is being exploited by viruses/malware lurking in your laptop. Downloads (and web browsing) come to a crawl during times of heavy upload activity.

In Windows 10, go to Task Manager > Performance tab > Ethernet. Leave your laptop idle and see if there's any significant Send traffic going on. You might have to look at that screen for a couple of minutes. Just have a cuppa while you're at it.

Also check if a member of your household is on a peer-to-peer network uploading files 24/7.