Slow Internet

devon_07
Level 2
Hello,
I have been with TPG for many years, having a positive experience for majority of the time. But recently, our internet speeds on our ADSL 2+ plan have become incredibly slow. Ever since last Sunday night (2nd of September 2018) our speed, download and upload speed have been nearly unusable. The internet we normally get is around 15-16ms, 16mbs download and 0.8mbs upload. These speeds have been fine and have caused us the slightest of inconveniences. However, since Sunday night, the ping has gone to 150ms-200ms, sometimes spiking even more, the download has been ranging from 1-6mbs and upload to from 0-0.2mbs. However, there are periods of a couple of minutes where the connection returns to normal. This is short lived though, as the slow speeds soon take over. Just typing this on my phone the internet has cut out twice. These speeds both effect the home computer which is connected by Ethernet and other computers and mobile phones, connected to wifi. I have tried to reset the modem by turning it off and then back on. I have tried disconnecting all devices and running a speed test to see if speeds improved. Neither Ethernet or wifi connections have improved from this. I have also checked all the cables with the router finding no issues. If I could please have a hand to see if I can find the source of my slow speed get rid of it, it would be much appreciated.
Cheers
11 REPLIES 11
Riezl

Hi @devon_07,

Welcome to TPG Community!

Please PM us your customer ID or username so we can take a look at your account and check the status of your service.

To send a private message, please refer to this community link:How do I private message (PM) in the community - TPG Community

devon_07
Level 2

Private messaged you my details. Thank you for your help

Erika

Hi @devon_07

Thanks for sending your username via Private Message.

Can you make and receive calls? Do you hear any noise on the phone? 

I've just ran remote test and the result does not show a physical fault on the line. 

We appreciate and has taken notes of the checks that you've done to resolve this technical issue.

I do recommend that we have one of our technicians give you a call to resolve your issue as your service may be affected by other factors.

Please let us know your best time and contact number via PM so I can get a technician to call you.

Regards,

Erika

Hi @devon_07

We'd like to make a follow up with your contact details.

Should you be available, please PM us your best contact time and number so that we can arrange a call from one of our technicians. 

Cheers, 

Erika

Hi @devon_07,

Thanks for sending your details via Private Message. 

I've now arranged a call today from one of our technicians between 7:30pm - 8:00pm.

We would appreciate if you'll be at home during the time of call as our technicians would like carry out simple checks with you to eliminate any possible equipment issue. If this time is not suitable, please let us know and we'll have this rearrange for you. 

Erika

Hi @devon_07

I understand that one of our technicians has been in touch with you yesterday and was able to resolve this issue by doing isolation on your devices. 

Should you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Cheers!

devon_07
Level 2

Hello again, 

Thank you for having a technician call and resolve the issue. However, this solution only lasted around a day or so. By 12pm Wednesday, the connection was again showing signs of slow speed and download. I understand that the issue with the connection was due to high upload, causing connection and download speeds to slow. However, the steps I did take on Monday night to resolve this are still in place, so the issue must be residing somewhere else. I contacted the technician that called me on Monday night yesterday and am still to get a response. I have the number and name of the technician though who helped me so if I was to arrange another call, I am able to speak to the same person. If you guys are able to help me again in sorting this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thank you

BasilDV

Hi @devon_07,

I've reviewed the notes from our Tech team and run some remote test. I have detected the same issue that you were experiencing before in which a high upload traffic is evident. It is eating all of the bandwidth that we can provide you with the ADSL service and causes your internet to be slow.

The previous technician has verified that the problem lies with your Google drive which is automatically doing a backup to your files or uploading high data files.

Did you disconnect your google drive or at least disable the automatic file backup of it?

Turning Off and On the modem will not resolve this since a device which is connected to it is causing the problem. You need to identify which device is causing this issue if it's not the google drive.

You may disconnect the devices connected to your network 1 by 1 and running speed tests at the same time to check if the disconnected device is the culprit.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

devon_07
Level 2

Hello, 

Yes, Google Drive and the sync has been disconnected on the computer which was thought to have caused the issue. I am very confused though to which program or action is taking up all the bandwidth. I turned my computer off and checked the speed on my phone, the only device connected, the speed was slow. I then turn off my phone, turn my computer back on and the connection is still poor. So I believe the problem is among one of these two devices. I opened my laptop to see if it would be the culprit and the speed is perfectly fine. I then turn on the same phone that was giving me a slow connection and now it is fine on there. I am very confused about which device would be doing this and what could be chewing all the upload. I am lost to what is causing the poor connection. Also, are there any programs or computer actions that are known for taking up all the upload, as I can then check if I have these enabled on the devices. The computer is a Windows 10 and the phone is an iPhone SE on the latest version of operating system. 
Thank you to everyone who is trying to help me solve this situation