TPG Community

Get online support

Slow speeds ann drop outs

Al
Level 2
Level 2

After having frequent time out and complete drop outs, althugh the computer insisted it was connected to the internet, I contacted support, after over an hour on the phone, a factory reset of the HG 658 modem which was supplied as a replacement for a newer model which died some semblance of service returned. Indpendent speeds checks gave speeds approching 7 mps, TPG gave 9 mps. A direct LAN connection gave speeds of 11 mps as did the connection of an extender. So is there a fault with the modem or is it just useless and well past its sell by date?

14 REPLIES 14
Erika

Hi @Al

Welcome to the Community! 

I've located your account using your Community details and has conducted series of tests. 

Currently, test results does not show a physical issue with the line outside. 

However, I'm seeing that you're apparently using too much upload which causing your slow speed issue.

For your plan,  the Upload sync is up to 1 Mbps only. If one of your device is consuming the Upload bandwidth, then it will affect the browsing on your devices due to the traffic.

Simply imagine a 2 way road which can only fit a regular car. 1 lane for Download, and the other is for Upload. Normal activity will not affect the traffic on the road, but once there is a Big truck (Upload which consumes the 1 Mbps bandwidth) who occupies the 2 lanes, the cars (normal website that you've entered to a different device or same device) behind it will not be able to pass until the truck reaches its destination.

For accessing website or apps, once you have entered an address on your browser and hit enter, it is already considered as Upload since it will go up to the internet cloud/server, then the reply of the server/cloud which includes the information, page pictures, etc. is considered as Download since the data are going down to your device.

Most of the time, cloud applications are causing high upload such as iCloud, Google Drive, One Drive, etc. It can also be caused by automatic system upgrade.

If you have multiple devices, you can try to leave one device connected to the internet one at a time until you figure out which device is causing the high upload traffic. 

Nevertheless, if the issue persists even after isolating your devices, please let us know and we'll look into this for you further.

Cheers,

Al
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

At time of the troubles and the subsequent speed tests only one device was connected.

The difference in speeds is is a concern as I realise that modems etc slow down with age and the modem you supplied just over a year ago seems to be out of the archives. As my plan is supposed to be unlimited data there should be no slow down,

The concern is that the WiFi output of the modem is way below an acceptable level and I should never see a red light on the VoIP. Unless the line speed is down I should not time out on access to basic sites like google.

I live in fear of what will happen when the Grandchildren arrive and sign in with their Ipads.switch on the XBOX for netfliicks.

In real life I can get  a higher download rate, a better phone deal plus a new modem from other suppliers, but currently I am reluctant to move due to outside commitments.

BasilDV

Hi @Al,

Yes, you are under our unlimited data package, however, the speed that you are under is the basic NBN12/1 tier only (speed similar to DSL). This means that the speed of your internet for Download can reach a typical evening speed of 10 Mbps and the Upload speed will not be more than 1 Mbps.

With this package, using more than 2 devices at the same time to play online games, stream videos, etc. will cause a bandwidth sharing issue. When it occurs, the internet will slow down as the speed that you are getting will be divided into those devices.

Here's a community link for more NBN speed information. Click here.

You may need to consider upgrading to our best selling package of NBN50 speed tier as it can provide you with a typical evening speed of 42.7 Mbps Download and up to 20 Mbps Upload. This package is the best choice for heavy internet usage and can accommodate multiple devices at the same time. The price starts at $69.99/Month which comes with unlimited data as well. Click here for more information.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

Al
Level 2
Level 2

Hi BasilDV

I understand what you are saying, and may have to upgrade. 

But at the time of the timeouts and ultra low speeds only one computer was connected, the mystery of the occasional red light on VoIP not explained, and one drive disabled to save complications. Normal use of the net is web based research and emails, no gaming or movies.

Retest this morning at 10.00 gives speeds of 6.3 down and .844 up on the modem connection whereas on the extender connection the speeds test at 11.1 down and .904 up. Can someone please explain the difference?

At the moment I have little confidence in the modem operating at any higher speeds, and no confidence in the life expectancy of Huawei modems giving good service for more than 14 months (just out of warranty, built in obsolescence?).

BasilDV

Hi @Al,

Have you tried to report the slow speed issue using one device to our Tech team? As of the moment, we can't tell if what's causing the issue as it is not evident.

The speed test that you've conducted is via WiFi connection, am I right? We need to consider the factors that can affect the signal that is being provided by the modem. Since you are currently using an extender, it is possible that the signal being provided by it is traveling on the same frequency as the signal being provided by the Huawei modem which will interfere with the connection and vise versa. You may try to change the wireless channel on both devices or on the Huawei modem to make it's WiFi signal travel to a different frequency to lessen the interference.

Just an added information with the speed, your extender is connected to the Huawei modem. If you are getting a good speed from the extender then that means that the speed coming from the Huawei modem is good as well.

The Huawei modem has been tested and confirmed working which can handle the NBN technology. However, there are a lot of factors that we just can't control like the WiFi connection.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

Al
Level 2
Level 2

Now totally confused.

Original test before extender connected gave speeds approching 7 mps, TPG gave 9 mps. A direct LAN connection gave speeds of 11 mps.

Tech told me to do a factory reset and change the channel from auto to 11.

Today changed modem channel to 1, ext followed it and I can't overide it.

Speed test have mainly returned around 9.5 for the modem, with or without the ext connected.

Tests on the ext return around 11.2.

A couple of test on the modem retuned around 1.05 and 3.29 and dropped out a couple of times.

Ran WiFi analyser, when on channel 11 it tells me channel 1 or 6 is better, when on channel 1 it tells me channel 11 or 6 is better. As I understand that channel 6 is more suceptible to interference I did not try it.

So can someone explain the difference in speeds, please? 

BasilDV

Hi @Al,

Actual throughput speeds may change due to many factors, including the type of connection that you are using (WiFi or Wired), evident signal interference, number of devices connected to the network, etc., which TPG has no control with.

How far are you from the modem when you tried to test the connection? Also, the extender, is it located near the modem? Is the extender connected via Wireless or Wired to the modem?

Kind regards,

BasilDV

Al
Level 2
Level 2

Modem is about 3 m from me the extender is currently about 2m from the modem and about 3 m from me.

The extender has a wireless connection to the modem.

BasilDV

Hi @Al,

Have you tried to move the extender away from the modem? Let's say around 7 to 8 meters? Having the 2 devices sits around 3m away from each other may cause their WiFi signal to interfere with each other.

Given that you are getting a good speed using your extender via WiFi, this can only mean that it is overpowering the modems' WiFi signal.

The internet speed that you are getting is still within specification as the speed that you are receiving from the extender is mainly coming from the modem.

Kind regards,

BasilDV