TPG Community

Get online support

Speed decrease 6 months into NBN connection

SOLVED Go to solution
soundawake
Level 2

Hi,

I am on a 100/40 NBN FTTN connection, was installed in May.

Speeds for the most part have been rock solid and very consistent since then, until a couple of weeks ago. My usual old speed was 86mbps down, 37 up. That was tested using speedtest.net and also TPG's own speedtest site.

I have noticed now I struggle to get 80mbps. And after a while the speed will drop further and further (70, 60, 50 mbps) the longer my modem has been running, until I power cycle it. Download speed will go back up to about 79-80mbps for a little while. I acknowledge that this isn't a big decrease, and I should consider myself lucky as a lot of people get royally screwed with their NBN connection, but I'd still like my connection looked at if possible.

One other thing I have noticed is, when I used to do speedtests, the little speed needle would peg instantly to the highest speed of 84/85mbps and be very consistent throughout the speed test. Now, upon starting the speed test, the needle will fluctuate up and down and be all over the place until finally settling on the highest speed at the end. 

I use a TP LINK Archer VR600 modem. I swapped it out with the TPG supplied Huawei modem, and speedtest speeds were on average 10-15mbps LESS on speedtests.

Here is a copy of my modem stats 2 weeks after connection - 

Line Status: 
Connected
DSL Modulation Type: 
VDSL2
Annex Type: 
Annex A/L
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate(kbps) 40505 91018
Max Rate(kbps) 40505 97325
SNR Margin(dB) 6.5 7.4
Line Attenuation(dB) 34.9 11.2
Errors(pkts) 0 3

Here is a copy of stats taken today - 

Line Status:
Connected
DSL Modulation Type:
VDSL2
Annex Type:
Annex A/L
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate(kbps) 38749 90525
Max Rate(kbps) 38749 95163
SNR Margin(dB) 6.6 6.9
Line Attenuation(dB) 34.6 11.4
Errors(pkts) 0 0

I have always done speedtests with all devices disconnected. I have also power cycled modems dozens of times, isolated everything else, etc etc etc. 

Is my speed decrease just due to more people being connected in my area now? 

Here are the results of a speedtest done right now via speedtest.net and my fastest local server.

I should add, I have done speed tests via both wifi and ethernet and they are identical.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
soundawake
Level 2

Hi, thanks for your reply!

No difference in ping at all. 99% of the time its 6ms. Although, a few months ago, inexplicably, my ping went up to a consistent 15ms, and my download speed went from 84mbps to 86.5. A week later, ping went back down to 6 and my download speed back to 82-84. Weird. No idea how to do a traceroute, I'm gonna have to google it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lancelot999
Level 3

Wow! You're really lucky mate!

On your display, the Sync speed of your modem doesn't have any much difference at all.

2 weeks after connection:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate(kbps) 40505 91018
Max Rate(kbps) 40505 97325
SNR Margin(dB) 6.5 7.4
Line Attenuation(dB) 34.9 11.2
Errors(pkts) 0 3

stats taken today:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate(kbps) 38749 90525
Max Rate(kbps) 38749 95163
SNR Margin(dB) 6.6 6.9
Line Attenuation(dB) 34.6 11.4
Errors(pkts) 0 0

Downstream shows 90 Mbps +, which shows you are on a healthy node.

May be the data transfer from your modem to your devices are experiencing some delays or so. Did you notice any difference on the PING/Latency of your speediest? You could try Trace route test via wired to check if there's any possible latency of your connection.

soundawake
Level 2

Hi, thanks for your reply!

No difference in ping at all. 99% of the time its 6ms. Although, a few months ago, inexplicably, my ping went up to a consistent 15ms, and my download speed went from 84mbps to 86.5. A week later, ping went back down to 6 and my download speed back to 82-84. Weird. No idea how to do a traceroute, I'm gonna have to google it.