TPG Community

Get online support

Super low speeds cant be due to network congestion surely?

SOLVED Go to solution
Jeremy
Level 3

Hey, 

My internet speeds seem below what I would expect. It became noticable on the 14th of July. Ran a speedtest and got 0.52Mbps down, 0.01Mbps up.

I understand Saturday night is a popular time to use aforementioned internet, but surely this can't be entirely explained by network congestion.

I've ran the speed test a couple of times tonight on my phone (connected to WiFi) and got the following results:

• 9:42pm - 3.35Mbps down, 0.83Mbps up.
  • 10:24pm - 5.32Mbps down, 0.67Mbps up.
  • 10:50pm - 1.09Mbps down, 0.43Mbps up.

I have no speed from my Laptop as it throws an error every single time.

Compare that with my LTE speedtest of 160Mbps down and I start to wonder why wires are so great.

I completed an enquiry online and got the standard "line test, all good" but the above metrics seem to disagree.

I've unplugged everything from the router and restarted it a dozen times.

Anyone got any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeremy
Level 3

So, early indications are good that my issue has been resolved.

The technician helped me identify that my speed was being reduced due to excessive uploads. Apparently there is some magic number on ADSL2+ of 700 kbps that if you exceed, it brings the slow speeds.

Turns out, someone in my household had dropped 20,000 photos into a OneDrive sync'ed folder.

On Windows 10, you can view your data usage by application in the Settings App, which can help to narrow down any data issues. 

Thanks for the help (and patience) Erika!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Erika

Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to the Community! 

I've located your account using your Community details and just ran a remote line test and this shows no physical issue on the line. 

There’s some great tips on this topic on TPG Community at https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Troubleshooting-a-Slow-Internet-Connection/ba-p/11....

Please check it out. 

If the issue persists, I do still recommend that we have one of our technicians give you a call to resolve your issue as your service may be affected by other factors. Please let us know your best time and contact number via PM so I can get a technician to call you.

For your reference, please view this link on How do I private message (PM) in the community.

Cheers, 

Erika

Hi @Jeremy

I understand that one of our technicians has been in touch, thanks for giving us the opportunity to resolve your issue. 

Should you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Jeremy
Level 3

Hi Erika, 

One of your technicians did indeed call and helped me identify a reason for my slower internet. I need to verify tonight as sleep and work got in the way Smiley Sad

But I will update this thread with my findings if I can confirm tonight.

Cheers,

Jeremy 

Erika

No worries @Jeremy

Let us know how it goes. Smiley Happy 

Jeremy
Level 3

So, early indications are good that my issue has been resolved.

The technician helped me identify that my speed was being reduced due to excessive uploads. Apparently there is some magic number on ADSL2+ of 700 kbps that if you exceed, it brings the slow speeds.

Turns out, someone in my household had dropped 20,000 photos into a OneDrive sync'ed folder.

On Windows 10, you can view your data usage by application in the Settings App, which can help to narrow down any data issues. 

Thanks for the help (and patience) Erika!

Erika

You're welcome @Jeremy! Smiley Wink

Let us know should you need assistance.