TPG and NordVPN

SOLVED Go to solution
Rocket
Level 2

Hi.

I've just switched from Optus 100 to TPG 100.  I use NordVPN as my VPN provider and have done for several years.  The speed comparison between Optus is TPG is mind blowing.  The best download I can get on TPG to Telstra Brisbane was 46.98 mbs this morning.  The same with Optus was 91.17 mbs.  The VPN off speeds are a lot closer but TPG is still 11% slower than Optus on like for like comparisons.

Are there any special settings I need to get better VPN Speeds out of TPG?

By the way, on the TPG Speedtest the best VPN off speed I got was 30.90 mbs.  On an NBN100 plan that's unacceptable.

http://tpg.speedtestcustom.com/result/0e74a940-476c-11ed-ae80-d75cef34a4bd

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rocket
Level 2

Hi Everyone,

Just an update on this one.  I recently switched from Optus to TPG.  I had a Telstra Gen 2 modem which I've used for my TPG connection but the wifi was quite slow, especially when running my VPN.  The techs looked at this and apparently there was a small issue, that was quickly resolved, but my wifi speeds were still about half what I had with Optus. 

Both Optus and TPG plans were/are NBN100 with Optus easily getting 95MB+ VPN off and 90MB+ VPN on.  Investigations revealed that the 5Ghz wifi signal on the Gen 2 isn't as good as the old Sagemcom F@st 5366 from Optus.

Although not suggested by the techs I decided to try and make the Optus modem into a wireless access point as I realised it had better wifi coverage.  The page below helped me understand what to do:

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/how-to-turn-an-old-wi-fi-router-into-an-access-point/

Key details to make this work are:

On the Gen 2 I adjusted the IP Pool range to be between 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.254.  The default IP address of 192.168.0.1 remains unchanged along with everything else.  Save settings.

On the Optus F@st 5366 I changed the default IP address to 192.168.0.2 and switched the DHCP function OFF.  Save settings.  This means the GEN2 continues to handle IP address allocations to all devices on the network but the FAST 5366 wifi connects the devices.

On the Gen 2 switch the wifi OFF as it's no longer required.

Finally I connected both modems together via a LAN cable to LAN port 1 on both modems, altough I believe you can use any of the regular LAN ports.  DO NOT use the WAN port on the access point modem (Fast 5366) otherwise this won't work.

Restart everything and connet to the Wifi Access Point modem not the main modem.

Again refer to the web page above as it goes inot a lot more detail.  It is generic in nature but should still work.  Unfotunately I can't provide advice on any other modem.  I've only got experience with these two.

This is working a treat with the same speeds I had when I was with Optus.  It also saves another modem going to the ewaste graveyard.  Thanks to Shane for his input and the techs who ran the tests etc on their side.

I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks

rocket

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Shane

That seems weird and totally unacceptable. Let us check what causing this speed issues and get to the bottom of this. Could you shoot us a PM with your details to proceed with initial investigation.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Hi.

I've just switched from Optus 100 to TPG 100.  I use NordVPN as my VPN provider and have done for several years.  The speed comparison between Optus is TPG is mind blowing.  The best download I can get on TPG to Telstra Brisbane was 46.98 mbs this morning.  The same with Optus was 91.17 mbs.  The VPN off speeds are a lot closer but TPG is still 11% slower than Optus on like for like comparisons.

Are there any special settings I need to get better VPN Speeds out of TPG?

By the way, on the TPG Speedtest the best VPN off speed I got was 30.90 mbs.  On an NBN100 plan that's unacceptable.

http://tpg.speedtestcustom.com/result/0e74a940-476c-11ed-ae80-d75cef34a4bd

Thanks

Rocket
Level 2

Hi Everyone,

Just an update on this one.  I recently switched from Optus to TPG.  I had a Telstra Gen 2 modem which I've used for my TPG connection but the wifi was quite slow, especially when running my VPN.  The techs looked at this and apparently there was a small issue, that was quickly resolved, but my wifi speeds were still about half what I had with Optus. 

Both Optus and TPG plans were/are NBN100 with Optus easily getting 95MB+ VPN off and 90MB+ VPN on.  Investigations revealed that the 5Ghz wifi signal on the Gen 2 isn't as good as the old Sagemcom F@st 5366 from Optus.

Although not suggested by the techs I decided to try and make the Optus modem into a wireless access point as I realised it had better wifi coverage.  The page below helped me understand what to do:

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/how-to-turn-an-old-wi-fi-router-into-an-access-point/

Key details to make this work are:

On the Gen 2 I adjusted the IP Pool range to be between 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.254.  The default IP address of 192.168.0.1 remains unchanged along with everything else.  Save settings.

On the Optus F@st 5366 I changed the default IP address to 192.168.0.2 and switched the DHCP function OFF.  Save settings.  This means the GEN2 continues to handle IP address allocations to all devices on the network but the FAST 5366 wifi connects the devices.

On the Gen 2 switch the wifi OFF as it's no longer required.

Finally I connected both modems together via a LAN cable to LAN port 1 on both modems, altough I believe you can use any of the regular LAN ports.  DO NOT use the WAN port on the access point modem (Fast 5366) otherwise this won't work.

Restart everything and connet to the Wifi Access Point modem not the main modem.

Again refer to the web page above as it goes inot a lot more detail.  It is generic in nature but should still work.  Unfotunately I can't provide advice on any other modem.  I've only got experience with these two.

This is working a treat with the same speeds I had when I was with Optus.  It also saves another modem going to the ewaste graveyard.  Thanks to Shane for his input and the techs who ran the tests etc on their side.

I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks

rocket