TPG Community

Get online support

TPLink Archer VR1600v router continually cycling off/on

SOLVED Go to solution
robm79
Level 3

Hi All,

Since a week ago my Archer VR1600v router is resetting itself continuously.

It works normally for about 1 minute 45 seconds, then resets itself and goes through the power-up cycle taking about 48 seconds: that is, all lights for a second, then flashing power light, then after a while (depending on what's connected) WAN, LAN wifi, phone, internet lights then the power light stays steady on.

Continuously. Repeats this every 2 m 33 s (1:45 + 0:48). 24 hours a day.

Doesn't seem to be an NBN modem problem (Arris CM8200) or a problem with any devices attached to it, it keeps exactly the same on/off cycle with only a single connection - the power. No modem connected, nothing on wifi, nothing on LAN, no phone handset.

Tried a different power supply from another old router, rated 12 V 2.5 A. Exactly the same on/off cycle.

Has my router died, time to upgrade to a decent one?
Or is this a known and fixable problem with the Archer VR1600v?

As simple as overheating now summer has arrived (never done this before in 3-odd years of service)?

Thanks in anticipation,

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BasilDV

Hi @robm79

Aside from using a different power adapter, have you tried to factory reset the device by pressing the button inside the pinhole?

Kindly send me a PM with your account details for us to check on what we can arrange for you.

BasilDV

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
BasilDV

Hi @robm79

Aside from using a different power adapter, have you tried to factory reset the device by pressing the button inside the pinhole?

Kindly send me a PM with your account details for us to check on what we can arrange for you.

BasilDV

robm79
Level 3

Hi BasilDV,

Thanks for your suggestion, it might have worked. Maybe?

But what a saga!

OK... first I couldn't find a "Backup Settings" anywhere in the pages. You'd thnk it would be under "System Tools" somewhere, but it isn't.

Note: my router has firmware version 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 220518 Rel.32480n,

hardware Archer VR1600v v1.0 00000000

So I spent half an hour or so taking about 30 screengrabs of all my settings ... had to get logged in, pick a page, get the grab in the brief time the router was up and running, then wait for it to reboot, repeat ad nauseam.

Then reset it to factory defaults.

Seems to fix it... ran for a while without resetting itself.

So I started reloading all my settings.

After a while it got back into the run for a while/reboot cycle.

So either it's a time thing - it ran OK for a while, then failed...

...or its a setting thing - some setting I'm putting in one of the pages is breaking it.

I've now reset it to factory defaults again. I'm planning to run it for a while, say a day, to see if it see if it keeps working or crashes again.

If it keeps working I'll start putting in all my previous settings, one at a time, try to find which one crashes it.

So I have a plan... more news later. I haven't PMed you yet, see if it can fix itself before I hassle you too much.

Thanks again,
Rob

BasilDV

Alright. We'll be waiting for any update @robm79.

Have a good day!

BasilDV

robm79
Level 3

Seems to have fixed itself.

Over the past few days I've slowly loaded up all its previous settings and not had a single reset happen.

Must have just needed that reset to factory defaults.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

robm79
Level 3

Two weeks later... it's started happening again. Probably the router is on its last legs.

PM not yet sent... PM doesn't seem to be an available option?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @robm79 ,

Can you try sending your details directly to me via PM so we can proceed with the initial investigation.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Two weeks later... it's started happening again. Probably the router is on its last legs.

PM not yet sent... PM doesn't seem to be an available option?

robm79
Level 3

Hi Shane,

PM doesn't seem to be an option in my browser - see enclosed screengrab.

Is it because I have ad-blocker, or becasue you were offline when I tried to PM you?

Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @robm79 ,

Please relog-in your community account and try again. Let us know how it will go.

Regards,

Hi Shane,

PM doesn't seem to be an option in my browser - see enclosed screengrab.

Is it because I have ad-blocker, or becasue you were offline when I tried to PM you?

Rob