TPG Community

Get online support

Upload speeds for NBN25 ?

SOLVED Go to solution
kendra69
Level 2

I'm on the Basic NBN12 with 12 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload.

Is it worth upgrading to the next plan NBN25 with 22 Mbps upload, and unknown / secret upload ? Why such secrecy TPG ? I've seen you mention elsewhere that it is between 1Mb and 20 Mb for upload, but can I / we get a definite answer ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
needforsuv
Level 3

NBN25 is 25/5

50 is 50/20

100 used to be 100/40 with most/all (inc. TPG) but its now 100/20 without a price drop (again, with most ISPs, inc TPG).

250 is 250/25 (worse than 100/40 for upload and barely any better than 50/20)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
needforsuv
Level 3

NBN25 is 25/5

50 is 50/20

100 used to be 100/40 with most/all (inc. TPG) but its now 100/20 without a price drop (again, with most ISPs, inc TPG).

250 is 250/25 (worse than 100/40 for upload and barely any better than 50/20)

kendra69
Level 2

Ok, thanks for the info (i'll take your word for it, although i am aware it is not officially from TPG )

david64
Level 15

Hi @kendra69 . The NBN12 is probably slower than your ADSL. The decision to upgrade should be based on your planned usage. The NBN12 runs out of puff quite soon if there are two of you watching movies or videoconferencing. How does your NBN12 go with your current usage?

NBN25 has download speed in low 20's as you say. Upload speed could be 3 to 4 Mbps. But both depend on time of day, how active other users are in your area (busy evening peak). If you are on FTTN, your distance to the node will affect your max speed; your router DSL stats show max speed in this case..

kendra69
Level 2

hi @david64  not slower, it is very similar to ADSL2+, i did a speedtest before the changeover, it was consistently 12MB download / 1mb upload on adsl2+ and after.

>> your router DSL stats show max speed in this case..

I logged into the router, where do i find the DSL stats? (using default tpg Archer VR1600)

david64
Level 15

Hi @kendra69 . For FTTN, Dsl stats on Advanced/Status page, scroll down.  The Max Rate will either show what you are getting now or what the router determined was possible. 

needforsuv
Level 3

it may be slower in some cases because of the lower CVC included and the fact that you can't hammer it like ADSL.

I've had zero problems maxing out an ADSL connection 24/7, but from what I've seen, if you do the same with a basic 12/1 nbn service, you might experience dropouts and such as the speed limit on the nbn tiers are artificial ones, not a technological limitation as such.

In particular, if there's no bandwidth control in the router or your NTD/blackbox/NBNco modem doesn't limit your upload to your tier and you exceed it, you'll have problems.

My best adsl downloads and uploads (peak, not necessarily sustained) are slightly better than the base NBN speed tier (I've seen 1.5-1.6MByte down and up to 150KByte upload on ADSL.)

More info: Keep in mind that the wholesale for 12/1 charges an extra $4.10 over $22.50 for verage monthly peak CVC usages over the included 150kbps, so with the $8 for each extra 1mbps of CVC, having a NBN12/1 that you use a lot (more than as they expect with basic) will essentally mean you're costing your ISP about as much as if they were using the NBN25 tier (which coincidentally, was why many was actually using that to provide their 12/1 plans before NBNco reduced the 'excess' charges to this level).

source: https://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/media-centre/media-statements/nbn-confirms-new-wholes...

Also, 'fun' fact, the NBN50 tier and NBN25 tier are pretty much the same price wholesale.

PS: Why NBNco ever decided 12/1 as being the base tier is beyond me, since good ADSL2+ (close to the node) will get more than that... and most plans at either speed cost more than or the same as ADSL anyway.