TPG Community

Get online support

VOIP and router replacement

smckay
Level 2

Dear friends at TPG,

I am a TPG customer have switched out the dreadful TP-Link router supplied by TPG for a shiny new ASUS AC68U.  I have diverted by TPG voice service to a mynetfone number.  This works for me.

I have a friend who is also now on TPG, and also is experiencing issues with the dreadful TP-Link router and would like to replace it with a better model, with more wireless range.  He does not have a separate VOIP service he can redirect his phone service to. 

What options will he have for replacing the TP-Link router with a better device? Ideally we would like to use something like the TP-Link AC2800. The need specifically is for greater Wifi Range - he to cover a wider area as he is on a rural property, and also he needs somthing that can support multiple streaming connections, including a decent live stream feed from his property to Youtube. 

Our question is Can TPG supply an upgrade frp the VR1600 to a more stable device with greater wireless range like the VR2800? 

Regards

Stephen

2 REPLIES 2
JayeshP9

Hi Stephen,

Currently we are providing Vr1600  which  is dual band router to our customer and most of all time no issue for reasonable house environment for wireless coverage but in case of your friend-house if he need for large property then i suggest instead of covering large area by one expensive router better to add another wireless router to other part of house using LAN cable.  In this case your tp link router staying as a primary router and you need to connect other additinal router from one of LAN port of tp link router Vr1600.

regards

JayeshP9.

peter_k

In addition to Jayesh's comment. If running a LAN cable is not an option I would suggest using a product called WIFI Mesh. There are multiple vendors selling these items from 1 Pod to 3 Pod systems. Rather than broadcasting Wi-Fi signals from a single point, mesh router systems have multiple access points. One point links to the modem and acts as the router, while one or more other access points, often called satellites, capture the router's signal and rebroadcast it. All pods are running the same SSID so unlike Range Extenders you do not need to manually swap between SSID's when you are in that location. The downside is that they are not cheap, but if comparing them to a High end router they are very comparible in cost. The benifit over a Wifi Mesh sytem compared to even that high end router is that you will have a much greater wifi coverage area.

Regards,

Peter