TPG Community

Get online support

VR1600v High Packet Loss after 1 minute of connection, Connection Drops

Dannnnn
Level 2

I just had an NBN technician in today to do some work as over the past 5 days my connection has been unstabled and dropping every few minutes.

He said there was a broken wire in the street and that it is fixed now.

The connection still appears to be dropping however.

I have several questions and modem information about my situation.

Question.

In the modem configuration Network > DSL > pppoe_ptm_2_0_d

Should the username and password be set to my TPG username and password?

By default its configuration is what appears to be a TPG email with my username and the password saying "noPassword". This seems strange?

The system log for the modem shows this when a drop out occurs...

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 4.00.59 pm.png

Another interesting piece of information. Is that straight after the DSL reconnects the modem displays a rather high number of packets lost. Is this normal for the amount of uptime?

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 4.02.40 pm.png

Notice 48000 errors after only 15 minutes. This seems wrong...

Appreciate if you can answer my above question and look at what's currently going on. The connection appears to still be on and off.

30 REPLIES 30
Rica_R

Hi @Dannnnn

Welcome to TPG Community!

Thank you for bringing this matter to us and we are sorry as well for the inconvenience.

We understand how frustrating this can be when you are wanting to use your service as soon as possible.

I was able to locate your account using your Community details and have seen that your account is being monitored by our Engineers as drop outs still manifest together with the High Error. Our Engineers already re-escalated this matter to NBN Co as the issue are still evident though a Technician has been sent and the fault line has been cleared. We are now awaiting for the updates from NBN Co. Updates will be provided once available. 

As for the Modem set up, no password is seen since the modem has an auto-configure recognition to connect the internet once the Modem is plugged in.

Should you have a preferred time of contact, feel free to let us know and we'll have our Engineers to get in touch on the given time frame. Thank you. 

Dannnnn
Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

It's a bit difficult for me to recieve calls at the moment, so if you can contact me via email, text or simply post any updates to the situation here that would be most helpful for me.

Thanks for your help, I'm hanging in here but try to get to the bottom of it soon as you can.

BasilDV

Hi @Dannnnn,

This is noted.

We will advise our Engineering team to contact you via chosen method.

We've noticed that the service is still dropping even after the NBN technicians work within the network.

We'll chase this further and have our Engineers to relodged the fault with NBN Co.

Further updates will be given once available.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

Dannnnn
Level 2

It's been a few months now since I've had this issue resolved.

Unfortuantely, last Friday 10/05 this problem appears to have returned but less severe. I'm able to have sessions up to about 30-90 minutes but sometimes as low as 5 minutes without the connection dropping. The packet error count appears to be up again, achieving 7000 errors after 5 minutes.

Another behaviour I seem to have observed is as soon as a new device connects, the DSL connection will drop in addition to the random drop outs. This does not occur every time though.

For refference, the same error log that I linked originally is the same error that occurs now when DSL drops.

Something else I recall from the previous technician visit is he said there was lots of corrosion in the pit on the street. I don't know how old the copper is in my area but I'm almost certain that like most of the MTN it's probably past its useby date. His solution was he swapped some wires around and that's held up until now.

So far the issue has carried across this weekend from the Friday. I'll keep this updated each day if it worsens or improves. If you guys can start mobilising on your end that would be useful because since I need this for study I've had to use my mobile data so if it goes on any longer I may need to apply for compensation..

Thanks.

Dannnnn
Level 2

Update on the situation.

Yesterday, Monday, the connection dropped a couple times in the afternoon. Still a real pain.

Today, the connection is dropping considerably more than yesterday, had some decent rain this afternoon as well which could be a factor.

I've just gotten a new SIM for my phone and my number hasn't been reactivated yet so direct contact if it needs to be made is via PM here or via my email address linked to my account.

Please get some details back to me when you can. I'm no fool, the NBN shouldn't be an MTN but unfortunately I've got to live with what we've been given, I know it's not your fault either because I'm sure everyone wants gigabit speeds Smiley Sad

Shane

Hi @Dannnnn,

We apologise for the inconvenience and delayed response. We're able to ran an initial test to your service it shows a possible line fault and identified that this is with the network controlled by the NBN co.

We urgently raised this to our Engineering Team for further test and investigation. Feedback will be provided once the assessment is done via phone call or SMS.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Dannnnn
Level 2

@Shane thanks. I'll post when my mobile is back up, still waiting for the SIM to activate, I'm sure we all know how that is.

Shane

Hi @Dannnnn,

We've seen that you have been in contact with one of our Engineers and advised that this issue has been escalated to NBN Co.

We'd like to confirm if your Mobile Service is with us.

@Shane thanks. I'll post when my mobile is back up, still waiting for the SIM to activate, I'm sure we all know how that is.

Dannnnn
Level 2

@Shane yes you must've had a secondary number on record because you did get through to me. I can confirm now my primary mobile is now active again and is the preferred contact. Thanks.