TPG Community

Get online support

VR1600v High Packet Loss after 1 minute of connection, Connection Drops

Shane

Thanks for the confirmation @Dannnnn.

One of our Engineers tried to contact you earlier today unfortunately no match. To avoid misunderstanding and confusion, please confirm the best contact number we can contact you.

Please send it via PM. How do I private message (PM) in the community

Cheers!

Shane

Thanks for sending your details @Dannnnn.

We passed this to our Engineering Team and request for another call to provide you the case progress.

Cheers!

Dannnnn
Level 2

@Shane I hate to say this but I'm currently absolutly fuming.

An NBN technician came this morning, I told him I was out this morning but somebody was on the property to let him around so he could come in.

He came in and bungled not only my TPG connection, but the business next door connected via Telstra is now offline. No EFTPOS, no phoneline, no emails currently. This is absolutlely crazy. We've already contacted Telstra and they're sending in a technician tomorrow morning to try and fix this back up.

I understand TPG does not control the NBN but that technician not only broke the connection but I believe he reported it as fixed because at around 1pm today while I was still out of the house, I received a call from TPG that the connection was fixed and back online.

I'm not sure what the idea with that was, but he was extremely misinformed.

Where do I go and who should I contact because I believe today we missed a multitude of sales and phone calls so I will be applying for compensation from somebody, I think NBN since you guys don't own the technician? Who do I contact?

Seriously help me out here and get somebody onto this now. Great way to close off my week. But props to everyone on the forums and sorry for my rant, this is just insane.

Shane

Hi @Dannnnn

Based on the case progress our Engineering Team is currently monitoring your service to ensure that the issue has been rectified. We will advise our Engineering Team about the billing adjustment/compensation.

This will be subject for approval and investigation and updates will be provided by the assigned Engineer handling this case. Updates will be provided via SMS or Phone call.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Dannnnn
Level 2

No connection at all on the modem. Can you please try to organise a technician to come out and fix this. We've already organised with Telstra to fix our business, that technician is coming on Monday but Telstra said he would not work on this TPG connection and that we have to contact you to get a different person.

Thanks.

Shane

Hi @Dannnnn,

The assigned Engineer handling this case is aware that the connection was lost. They tried to contact you to provide you an update unfortunately no avail. We'd like to get your best contact number and preferred time.

We'll have them contact you.

Cheers!

Dannnnn
Level 2
Had an NBN technician in today. We were expecting one but not for our TPG connection but for our Telstra business connection. Instead he insisted he was here for the TPG connection, he’s ‘fixed’ the line and the modem now receives a DSL signal. Excellent.

However upon inspecting the modem interface via a wired connection and after a factory reset after multiple hours of waiting the modem can’t seem to connect - “no available interface “.

There are DSL connections available and it continuously attempts to connect to pppoe_ptm_2_0_d, but to no avail.

Upon investigation of the modem’s system log it states it is timing out waiting for PADO packets. Something to do with waiting for an offer from the server.

Able to assist?
Shane

Hi @Dannnnn,

Thanks for the additional details. Based on the latest escalated fault handled by our Engineering Team, we are currently waiting for NBN Co.'s update. We will pass this on them for reference and we'll provide you update when is available.

Cheers!

Dannnnn
Level 2

Ok. Let me give this gist here, this internet connection has been more or less fine since we purchased the service. Only a couple of drop out periods which were caused by the century old copper, the first time it was fixed no problem.

The second time what has happened is not satisfactory at all. The communication on this end was fine, but the way NBN have handled their technicians was just disastourous. The first technician came in, said he fixed it, the connection continued dropping out. A few days later the connection somewhat stabilised.

Another technician was sent in to try and erradicate the issue fully (this is the guy that absolutely sent everyone for a spin), he managed to botch 3 whole connections (2 of which were business connections that he was not supposed to be even working on). Now what I don't understand with this guy in particular was why he had to fiddle with the cabling on our side of the property, our connections have been stable for months and only recently had we had cabling replaced on our side. Brand new. I was under the impression he was simply going to be fixing lines in the street. Not the case. This guy botched it on a Friday so we had to wait until Monday to get the next bloke in.

The guy came in on Monday and claimed that "the internet is working now", and "don't believe me? Check it youself." He left and what was left on the modem was only a DSL conenction and no internet connection.

The next guy came in on a Thursday. Said he couldn't do anything. And left.

The next guy came in today. Said he couldn't do anything. And left.

Can you see my problem here? I've been without a proper connection for 3 consecutive weeks. It's not your fault but unfortunately there is no reasonable way to contact NBN directly except through the ISP so unfortunately it's up to you to pass on this heat. What does fall on your side of the fence was that I was told the billing or accounts people would be in contact about compensation. That was a couple weeks ago and I've heard nothing of the sort.

If this goes on and no progress is made on my connection that used to be fine just had troubled wiring in our street but was ruined by some guy who worked on the wrong address...

then I'm afraid I'm going to cancel, and if that does happen I expect no penalty despite what the contract says, because the contract detailed nothing about shoddy NBN techncians and "I can't fix it".

Yes you can fix it, because one of you broke it.

Dannnnn
Level 2

Ok gonna go further un depth here.

We have a situation where our house recieves (well it used to until it was 'fixed' by NBN) 2 phone lines. One of the phone lines is this TPG connection for home use, and the second is a Telstra line from our business.

The purpose of the Telstra line is so we can recieve phone calls from our customers after hours when we are out of the shop, the purpose of the TPG connection is just for broadband, we never plugged and likely never will plug a phone into our modem.

The technician that came in today says what appears to have happened is now only the Telstra connection comes into the house and so the two phone sockets both output the Telstra connection, this includes the orginally TPG socket.

We use CAT6 cabelling up to our house and it carries both lines on it. Before the CAT6 cable reaches our house it orginiates from a control box or switchboard thing. This seems to split up the connections from the street for various addresses in our close proximity. There's about 5 connections in total coming through what I'll refer to as the 'box'.

Now I'll go and do NBN's job for them and guess that the problem is that whoever jumbled the connections in the first place never put the TPG connection back into the CAT6 cable that also carries the Telstra line to our house. The result is that we don't have the internet light on the TPG modem because it is trying to activate off the Telstra line.

As a side note, the technician that came in today also says that this provider (you, TPG) have not been passing on full details to NBN and as a result they come in slightly confused as to what they're doing. Is this true?

I might even MS Paint up a diagram to better help you guys understand.