TPG Community

Get online support

What is the difference between TPG FTTB and NBN FTTB?

SOLVED Go to solution
Elss
Level 3

All,

I am wondering what the difference is between TPG FTTB and NBN FTTB?

I see NBNco also sells FTTB through its retail service providers.

Are these the same in terms of performance?  I would imagine it would be a much better experience on TPG's own fibre network vs going through the government network which has a CVC bottleneck?

Obviously paying $59.99 a month vs $90+ is a much better price experience...

I googled "TPG FTTB Blogs" where I read of incredible experiences... people seem delighted with product but hopefully TPG or others can shed some light..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TrentOC
Staff

Avoiding the CVC bottleneck is a clear difference between TPG FTTB and NBN FTTB.

TPG On-net is better for business, as symetric speeds are supported.

NBN is an ADSL replacement technology.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TrentOC
Staff

Avoiding the CVC bottleneck is a clear difference between TPG FTTB and NBN FTTB.

TPG On-net is better for business, as symetric speeds are supported.

NBN is an ADSL replacement technology.

Lightscribe
Level 2
It's worth noting that Businesses can't sign up for the TPG FTTB product and that its an entirely different product to any Business Fibre solutions.

But definitely agreed on avoiding the CVC bottleneck.
It'd be good to see in a few years what the TPG FTTB product could become, with the likes of G.Fast and such
Andrew
Level 3

I actually saw a dramatic increase in sync speed (~73Mbps - ~97Mbps) as well as increased real world performance when I moved from a different company's NBN FTTB to TPG On-Net FTTB.

I was seeing serious congestion on NBN, with the downstream dropping to around 15-20Mbps in the evenings. On TPG On-Net FTTB there is almost no slow down, with speeds remaining fairly constant at around 93Mbps. All for $50 less per month!

DarylP
Staff

@Andrew wrote:

I actually saw a dramatic increase in sync speed (~73Mbps - ~97Mbps) as well as increased real world performance when I moved from a different company's NBN FTTB to TPG On-Net FTTB.

I was seeing serious congestion on NBN, with the downstream dropping to around 15-20Mbps in the evenings. On TPG On-Net FTTB there is almost no slow down, with speeds remaining fairly constant at around 93Mbps. All for $50 less per month!

TPG FTTB basically as previously stated removes the CVC model from the equation...

It connects to some very serious backhaul... So jealous!

Adrian2017
Level 3
**, I was getting excited about getting HFC Coaxil connection to replace my ADSL 2 + connection.

After reading the feedback on the FTTB a serious case of jealousy. lol Smiley Sad