Wifi coverage

samj4077
Level 2
Hi. I'm very pleased with TPG apart from the wifi coverage in my town house. Its very weak upstairs compared to my previous provider.
The floors are cement. I cannot move the modem.
Can anyone suggest a wifi a solution such as a signal enhancer compatible with the TPG modem?
5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Hi @samj4077 

If you still have the old modem/router from your previous provider, then you may check if it can be configured as an access point to help you boost your WiFi connection.

You may also consider getting a Mesh network or any access point to help extend the WiFi signal in your premises.

BasilDV

samj4077
Level 2
Thank you. My previous provider was Telstra and I still have the Telstra modem.
I have no idea how and if it can be set up that way and who would do it.
BasilDV

What is the make and model of the modem/router from them?

You may also check the manual of the said device if you can set it up as an access point.

BasilDV

samj4077
Level 2
Telstra Smart Modem
Gen 2 with voice backup
Model DJA0231
BasilDV

Thank you @samj4077

Try these steps to configure the Telstra modem/router as an access point:

• Turn on the Telstra device and on your computer, disconnect to the TPG modem/router then connect to the Telstra via WiFi or Wired connection.
  • Once connected to the Telstra, open a web browser and type in the IP address of the device to open the modem interface (check the sticker on the bottom or back of the device).
  • Then go to Advance > Local network > change the Local device IP address to 192.168.1.3
  • Turn off the DHCP server and IPv6 state
  • Change the DHCP start address to 192.168.1.4 and end address to 192.168.1.254 then save once done.
  • Connect the Telstra modem via Ethernet to the LAN port of the TPG modem/router.
  • Check if the internet is working on your Telstra modem/router

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV