TPG Community

Get online support

Windows 10 Mail says "can't get mail"

SOLVED Go to solution
ktr183
Level 2

Up until a few months ago my Windows 10 Mail was pulling in TPG emails just fine. Then there was a big Windows update and it hasn't worked since. Now it just says "can't get mail" under the account info. I've tried deleting and re-adding the account, re-entering the POP3/IMAP and server settings, but no good. Anyone else have this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JongR

Hi @ktr183

Could you please do a quick check on this one on your Windows 10 PC.

1. Go to Settings > Privacy > Email.
  2. Turn allow apps to access your email to On.
  3. Then, toggle Mail and Calendar app to On

You may have to restart your Windows 10 PC after this.

Have you seen a helpful comment lately? Be sure to give it a Like.
If a reply to your question solves the problem, be sure to mark it as an Accepted Solution.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Shane

Hi @ktr183,

Welcome to the community!

Can you post a screen shot of the mail client's error message? I'd like to confirm if you have tried to access your TPG email using our post office ?

We'll wait for your response.

Cheers!

ktr183
Level 2

Thanks @Shane, here's the screenshot. This is the builtin mail client in Windows 10, clicking on the system error just brings up the account settings page. I can get into the account via the webmail post office fine so I know my login and password is still correct.

Shane

Hi @ktr183,

Thanks for the details.

Your TPG Email is working fine it may something to on your email client settings. Please make sure that you have the correct settings.

I'd like to set your expectation if the issue still persist it may something to do with your windows update. You may try to use a different mail client for testing purposes else, you can contact windows support directly.

Please reference below:

email.png

Regards,

JongR

@ktr183 wrote:

...I've tried deleting and re-adding the account, re-entering the POP3/IMAP and server settings, but no good...

Hi @ktr183

You might want to try resetting the Windows Mail app.

Important: 

Make sure that you have updated to, at the very least, the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Windows 10 version 1607) with an OS Build of 14379 or later on your desktop PC to be able to reset Windows 10 apps. To check your Windows 10 version and OS build number, type Winver.exe in Start menu search and then press Enter key.

Resetting the app

Note: Resetting the Mail app in Windows 10 will permanently delete the Mail app's data on your device, including your preferences and sign-in details.

1. Open Settings.

2. Click on Apps.

3. Click on Apps & features.

4. Select the Mail and Calendar app from the list.

Apps settings on Windows 10

5. Click the Advanced options link.

6. Click the Reset button.

Mail and Calendar reset option

7. Click the Reset button again to confirm.

8. Once reset is completed, launch the Mail app and re-enter your TPG mail account details to view your email messages again.

Hopefully, this resolves your email issues. Be sure to share with us the results.

If a reply to your question solves the problem, be sure to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
ktr183
Level 2

@Shane @JongR Thanks both for the tips. I tried resetting the Windows Mail app and re-adding the account, but still get the same error message.

I do suspect it's a mail client issue since this only started happening after the big Win10 update a few months ago. Has no one had this issue? I'm on Win10 version 1803, which I think is the latest one.

Shane

You're welcome @ktr183,

I suggest you can try to use a different mail client if it's still the same or try to contact mail client's support.

Cheers!

JongR

Hi @ktr183

Could you please do a quick check on this one on your Windows 10 PC.

1. Go to Settings > Privacy > Email.
  2. Turn allow apps to access your email to On.
  3. Then, toggle Mail and Calendar app to On

You may have to restart your Windows 10 PC after this.

ktr183
Level 2

Holy **balls, that worked @JongR!! You mean to tell me Microsoft introduced a setting that completely disables their own inbuilt mail client from accessing email, and couldn't put a proper error message in there that wasn't just "can't get mail"? Classic Microsoft lol! Thanks so much, appreciated!