TPG Community

Get online support

Xbox Series X & PS4 High Ping

barry_m81
Level 2

I recently bought an Xbox Series X and still have access to an old PS4 which is being sold.

Both consoles have 160–180 ping with a wired connection. I also have a Mac Mini which has been connected with the same cable and the ping is consistently bewteen 9 and 11. The tests were all ran within a few mins of each other, the PS4 and Mac tests were done via using speedtest.net and the Series X tests have been run on the system UI. All other devices were disconnected from the internet during the tests.

I tried various toubleshooting steps on the Xbox but when I discovered that the PS4 is doing the same I'm thinking it's something a bit more technical.

I'm on the NBN FTTN 50 plan. Download speeds are usually in the region of 46–52Mbps and upload is around 16–18Mbps.

Not really sure where to go next, any help would be greatly appreaciated – thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
david64
Level 15

Hi @barry_m81 . Check the ethernet settings on the consoles, especially speed and duplex. Compare them to the settings on the Mac. 

barry_m81
Level 2

Hey @david64 thanks for the quick reply.

I've found the Mac settings easily enough, primary and secondary DNS were different on the console so I've updated to be the same as the Mac and re-started, ping still sitting at 178 though. There doesn't appear to be a setting on the Xbox for speed or duplex and anything I find online searching for Xbox Series X and duplex gets very techincal quickly. 

Any ideas?

david64
Level 15

@barry_m81 . Is the screenshot from the Mac or a console?

(The ethernet driver on my computer performed differently when connected to my NBN router with 1Gbps ports. I had to disable Energy Efficient Ethernet, which I see as an option in screenshot.)

I couldn't find anything on speed/duplex for xbox. Since it is new, you might try Microsoft support. Problem is slow speed compared to Mac using same cable and router port.

Any chance the consoles are using wifi connection instead of ethernet connection?

You can do a local test using ping command on xbox and Mac to the router's local address (eg. 192.168.1.1). Comands are for Windows. Parameters on Mac might differ.

ping -n 20 192.168.1.1            response times should be about 1 ms

ping -n 20 -l 65000 192.168.1.1        response times are longer because packet length is 65KB

barry_m81
Level 2

@david64 the screenshot is from the Mac.

Just to clarify, the speed is not an issue it's purely the latency/ping. Speeds comes in at 46–52Mbps down and around 16–18Mbps up so there's no issue with that. They are definitely not using Wifi, I disabled Wifi on the PS4 and the Xbox overrides any Wifi connection to wired when one is plugged in.

I'm thinking this would be related more to TPG than Xbox or Playstation, since that would have to be an issue with both consoles whereas the connection is the common thread between the two.

Our smartphones also don't have the issue and they're connected via Wifi which can be worse, they both generally score between 8 and 12 ping. 

david64
Level 15

@barry_m81 . I'd still like to see the times from the ping commands. 

What model router do you have?

Have the xbox and ps4 always had these high pings 

Shane

Hi @barry_m81,

Could you post a screenshot of the ping test on both PS4 and XboX for reference? Also, shoot us a PM with your details so we can perform initial remote tests on the service.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

I recently bought an Xbox Series X and still have access to an old PS4 which is being sold.

Both consoles have 160–180 ping with a wired connection. I also have a Mac Mini which has been connected with the same cable and the ping is consistently bewteen 9 and 11. The tests were all ran within a few mins of each other, the PS4 and Mac tests were done via using speedtest.net and the Series X tests have been run on the system UI. All other devices were disconnected from the internet during the tests.

I tried various toubleshooting steps on the Xbox but when I discovered that the PS4 is doing the same I'm thinking it's something a bit more technical.

I'm on the NBN FTTN 50 plan. Download speeds are usually in the region of 46–52Mbps and upload is around 16–18Mbps.

Not really sure where to go next, any help would be greatly appreaciated – thanks.

barry_m81
Level 2

Hey guys, here are the screenshots – interestingly, the numbers are more varied today.

david64
Level 15

@barry_m81 . As you say, the speeds are good. They won't provide any more info.

Would the PS4 using Superloop give better ping time? 

Regarding ping times, there is one number with left and right arrows, one with a down arrow, and one with up arrow. What is the meaning of these?

Still need to see how ping commands perform between the Mac/xbox and the router. 

Also, do tracert to tpg.com.au. This shows the next device past your router. You can also do ping commands to this address.

I did a ping from my computer to the address in the speed test result but got no response. Either you have changed to a different address or a firewall is blocking it. I tried some other addresses on same subnet and got response times up to 25 ms.

Level 2
Did you ever get this resolved?
I game on my Xbox series x and about a week or 2 ago I all of a sudden started getting high ping. Even when I search for a game I search for games 160+ ping when it was always 24 ping or lower. My other devices all have low pint, my oculus headset, my phone my computer it’s Just my Xbox. I have tried every setting available, done updates deleted games and reinstalled nothing I have done works and it’s driving me nuts.