TPG Community

Get online support

Xbox one update speed

Michaelb1
Level 2
I am on the nbn 50 plan. My speed test says I am good but it is downloading my xbox update at less then 1mbps. Other friends downloading at the same time through other internet providers not experiencing issues.
7 REPLIES 7
david64
Level 15

What device do you run the speed test on (ethernet device or wifi device)?

What are the download and upload speeds?

How is the xbox connected? What speeds does it get? If it is wifi connected, how far away from the router?

Michaelb1
Level 2
I have connected it via wireless and cable with no download speed change. Speed is sitting at 500kps-2mbps on my xbox update. Speed test performed on mobile and pc all show speed of around 46.6mbps and upload of 16-18mbps. I have read threads on this which show other people complaining about this with tpg.
Michaelb1
Level 2
Wifi connection was at 97% when wireless test done aswell.
Michaelb1
Level 2
Xbox speed test shows over 40 mbps aswell. Issue has been happening for atleast a month now. I thought it would be to do with the directing of traffic on tpgs end perhaps but I am unsure.
david64
Level 15

Are you still having this problem?

If you think it might be a routing problem, you could try this.

If you have a Windows or Linux computer or if the xbox can issue commands. If you know the URL or ip address sending the updates, eg.

tracert -d www.xbox.com

will show the path taken by the updates.

You could have your friends do the same and compare. TPG might be going the wrong way somewhere.

You can check the host names by:

ping -a  ipaddress

Host names might be informative.

Michaelb1
Level 2
Dont know how to do that unfortunately but it seems like a lot of tpg customers are having this issue. Has it been raised a lot. It was never a issue in the past.
david64
Level 15

Do you know the website where the xbox update comes from?

If so you can check where delays are in the network. 

In Windows, open a command window. Enter the command    tracert    followed by the website name.

You'll see the path taken and where delays occur. It could be the route chosen by TPG to get to the xbox site.