TPG Community

Get online support

firmware for VX420-G2v

j238723
Level 2

For security reasons I want to re-flash the firmware on my VX420-G2v router.

An unauthorised and unknown third party had access to the router, so I cannot use it until I know it is secure.

Neither a reset nor changing the access credentials on the router negate the possibility that a third party had modified the firmware.

To be clear, I don't want to update the firmware, I want to reinstall fresh firmware for security reasons.

Can you please provide a link to the firmware file.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Shane

Hi @j238723 

TPG loads its custom firmware on our NBN modem/router so that it can match with the system we use to provide you with TPG NBN internet and homephone. This is also done for the added security and privacy of the connection.

We do not support re-flashing our modem's firmware as we update the firmware over-the-air. You may re-flash our supplied modem at your own risk; doing this will also void the modem's warranty.

Regards,

david64
Level 15

@Shane . I think this user might be happy if you just send the latest firmware again, whether or not the router has the latest firmware.

j238723
Level 2

I understand that this is your normal process, but you need to provide a solution for reflashing firmware for security reasons.

This is basic fuctionality for modem/routers, and TPG carries a responsibility to provide basic support for their product. I imagine it's a breach of consumer law in Australia to sell a product without this basic support. Otherwise the product becomes unusable as soon as there is a security breach.

I am willing to take the risk of reflashing, but I will need to be supplied with the file.

Can you please do this?

Thanks.

j238723
Level 2

Thanks for joining the discussion.

Do you mean as an over the air update/reflash, or as a file?

Shane

Hi @j238723 

We can check the firmware and request an update from our engineering team over-the-air; however, we do not provide a file of the firmware.

Send me a PM with your details to better understand the situation.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

I understand that this is your normal process, but you need to provide a solution for reflashing firmware for security reasons.

This is basic fuctionality for modem/routers, and TPG carries a responsibility to provide basic support for their product. I imagine it's a breach of consumer law in Australia to sell a product without this basic support. Otherwise the product becomes unusable as soon as there is a security breach.

I am willing to take the risk of reflashing, but I will need to be supplied with the file.

Can you please do this?

Thanks.

j238723
Level 2

The problem with that plan is that:

1 - it requires the modem to be online running possibly malicious code for an unspecified amount of time while the engineering team attends to the support ticket.

2 - I have no way of verifying that an update/reflash actually occurred.

It's not good enough to say you don't supply the file. That is inadequate support for a product you sell, honestly, that seems like an ombudsman issue to me.

Shane

We understand. Send me a message with your details, and we will treat this as a complaint and have our complaint resolution case manager contact you.

How to send a PM

Regards,

The problem with that plan is that:

1 - it requires the modem to be online running possibly malicious code for an unspecified amount of time while the engineering team attends to the support ticket.

2 - I have no way of verifying that an update/reflash actually occurred.

It's not good enough to say you don't supply the file. That is inadequate support for a product you sell, honestly, that seems like an ombudsman issue to me.

david64
Level 15

@j238723 . Are you saying that someone inside your home interfered with the router or that it might have been hacked from the internet?

You might prefer to buy some brand X router. Before connecting to the internet, you can set it up as you like: new admin password, disable remote access and config, change wifi passwords, etc. Once connected, you can do port scan to check no open ports from the internet. You also control when firmware is updated.