TPG Community

Get online support

tp-link archer vr1600v Network Printer

jayem
Level 2

So I finally got NBN installed using the supplied TP-Link Wifi router, but the USB port in the back has had the printer sharing disabled in the custom TPG firmware (regular firmware has it). Why on earth would someone want to do that? 

I've gone back to using my old router for now, this one is as useful as a brick at this point.

Would love to hear from TPG as to why this was actioned. Seems like a massive oversight to me, or anyone else that has a wired printer.

7 REPLIES 7
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @jayem Welcome to the community,

Firstly, you shouldn't assume that because the router has a USB port that it will have a usb print server built in, the TP-Link Archer VR1600v Specifications do not mention printer support in the manual, it is designed to support USB mass storage / media sharing and USB dongle sharing. TPG hasn't disabled it in the custom firmware, the device just does not support it.

You can always buy a USB > Ethernet print server adapter or consider upgrading to a true networked printer.

· DHCP: Server, Client, DHCP Client List, Address Reservation, DHCP Relay

· Quality of Service: ATM QoS, QoS

· Port Forwarding: Virtual Server, Port Triggering, DMZ, ALG, UPnP

· Dynamic DNS: DynDns, NO-IP

· VPN Passthrough: PPTP, IPSec Passthrough

· ATM/PPP Protocols: ATM Forum UNI3.1/4.0, PPP over ATM (RFC 2364), PPP over Ethernet (RFC2516),
IPoA (RFC1577/2225), MER\IPoE (RFC 1483 Routed), Bridge (RFC1483 Bridge), PVC – Up to 8 PVCs

· Security: NAT Firewall, Access Control, MAC / IP / URL Filtering, Denial of Service (DoS), SYN
Flooding, Ping of Death, IP and MAC Address Binding

· USB Sharing: Support Samba(Storage)/FTP Server/Media Server, 3G/4G Modem

· Advanced Functions: Parental Control, Network Address Translation(NAT), Port Mapping
(Grouping), Static Routing, RIP v1/v2(optional), DNS Relay, DDNS, IGMP V1/V2/V3

· Management: Web Based Configuration(HTTP), Remote management, Command Line
Interface, SSL for TR-069, SNMP v1/2c, Web Based Firmware Upgrade, Diagnostic Tools

· IPSec VPN: Supports up to 16 IPSec VPN tunnels

· Protocols: Supports IPv4 and IPv6

jayem
Level 2

It's 2018, a router with a USB port that can't handle a printer is garbage. I have 8 routers here all of various ages, every single one, even going back to one of my early Optus supplied ones can handle a printer being attached (to be used over the network, with little difficulty).

I spoke with Tp-link & TPG at length about the supplied router, I was explicitly told that it's old Tp-Link hardware wrapped in a new enclosure, with TPG custom modified firmware to account for the VOIP functionality.

I have reverted to using my old router, with my printer.

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @jayem You could also say it's 2018 and it's impractical to use the single USB port to support hundreds of models of printers many of which don't have driver support for the latest OS versions.

The USB port does however support these very useful functions which I would think most users would find useful in 2018. Storage Sharing, FTP Server,  Media Server, 3G/4G Dongle. You can only plug one thing in at a time after all.

You can always share the printer on the network using printer sharing on a PC.

jayem
Level 2

I'm talking about a fully supported printer, which works with every other router – the driver is on the computer, not the router, your comment is void.

I'm sure those other functions are appreciated by many, however the topic concerns the router and printing only, not Storage Sharing, FTP Server,  Media Server or 3G/4G Dongles. Lets stay on topic and not be blinded by erroneous features.

orbistat
Level 8

Yes @jayem I know where the driver goes, the hardware vendor's chipset will have a print server compatibility list, not every USB printer ever made will be on that list, my point being that there is no universal support built into a devices firmware.

Well on topic, you can't expect a manufacturer to be testing every printer ever made with every subsequent firmware release.

scottishdave
Level 2

Hi Jayem, I completely agree. I've just moved from a TP-Link VR600 which I believe is very similar to the VR1600v. The VR600 has two USB ports, one of which I used for my printer to make use of the VR600's print server. 

Since I need the VOIP capabilities of the VR1600v I will have to go out and buy a print server to be able to use the VR1600v. 

I agree with your point about the print drivers....they are installed on the PC or laptop so Orbit8's comments about printer drivers doesn't really ring true, to quote "...you can't expect a manufacturer to be testing every printer ever made with every subsequent firmware release". I moved from a TP-Link VR600 with PRINT SERVER to a TP-Link v1600v with a similar chipset.  

I am guessing that TPG took this path of only one USB with no print server on the VR1600v to save their support staff the hassle of assisting less technical users who may have difficulties understanding the print server concept.

I've have posed this question on Whirlpool for more information here....  https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/9vx05ww9?p=47#r937

Coli
Level 3

I purchased a second hand Technicolor 797n for $5 and set up a seperate network with my printer attached via lan. This works well with my printer not having to be in my entrance/hallway where my TPG vr1600r and the NBN connections are placed.