TPG Community

Get online support

voip usage on 4G home broadband

ngaere
Level 2

hello. I am thinking of moving to the TPG 4G home wifi network from my current TPG ADSL account. I currently have a mynetfone on my system, will it work with the TPG 4G home internet?

4 REPLIES 4
Shane

Hi @ngaere,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us, we do not block 3rd party VoIP for utilizing the internet connection but you may want to check with your VoIP provider if there will be a conflict with the settings below. 
Home Wireless Broadband uses CG-NAT. Carrier-grade NAT (Network Address Translation) is a type of network that assigns services with a private IP address, instead of a dynamic public IP address. Our network will then translate that private address into a public address. This means that the following items (which depend on internal NAT) will not work on Home Wireless Broadband:

• Port forwarding
  • Hosting web, email or file servers internally
  • Smart Home systems (e.g. accessing security camera footage remotely, home automation and printers)
  • Remote Access (i.e. accessing your home computer or devices from another location)

Home Wireless Broadband is a data-only broadband service. It does not include a standard phone service.

Eligible existing TPG broadband customers can get an optional Virtual Phone service which allows you to:

• Forward all incoming calls to an alternative phone number of your choosing (Standard Australian landlines/mobiles only).
  • Keep your existing phone number, should you wish to switch back to NBN, or switch to a phone service with another provider.

Note: Making calls and all other phone features will be unavailable.

If you do not port your phone number to us at the time of applying for the Home Wireless Broadband service you will not be able to apply for Virtual Phone at a later date

Regards,

hello. I am thinking of moving to the TPG 4G home wifi network from my current TPG ADSL account. I currently have a mynetfone on my system, will it work with the TPG 4G home internet?

drbob
Level 6

By "Hosting web, email or file servers internally" did you mean that these servers will not be available externally to the home network? I presume I can still setup my own private servers and access them on my internal network?

drbob
Level 6

I think it is just too bad that TPG did not throw in a phone service (even it it were PAYG) as that would have made it a "no-brainer" for me to switch to the TPG Home Wireless Broadband".

Shane

Hi @drbob,

Yes, the existing Private/Personal Website (Hosted by different server) should be accessible but hosting server or website will not work on Home Wireless Broadband.

Regards,

By "Hosting web, email or file servers internally" did you mean that these servers will not be available externally to the home network? I presume I can still setup my own private servers and access them on my internal network?