Troubleshooting TPG Home Phone/Voice Service – No Dial Tone
A No Dial Tone issue occurs when there is silence instead of the normal tone/beeping when you pick up your phone handset to make a call. There are a few easy troubleshooting steps you can do before needing to call TPG Support. These troubleshooting steps can resolve most common issues and save you time as a result.
1. Before you get started, check our Service Status for any outages in your area.
2. If you have NBN or TPG FTTB, check if your internet service is working. If the internet service is down, this will affect your home phone service too as the phone (voice) relies on the internet service. Please call TPG straight away if your internet and phone services are both not working.
3. Check your equipment is connected correctly. Sometimes connections between your equipment can become loose.
Keep in mind that your handset is plugged in differently depending on the type of internet service you have. (For example, for most NBN connections, the phone handset is plugged into the modem!). Check out the links below to check your phone setup of your service is right:
Also, if you have a cordless phone, ensure your phone’s base station is switched on.
3. Test another phone handset and phone cable (If available). Phone line problems can be caused by several things, but a common cause is a faulty hardware. If a different handset gives you a dial tone but the original handset doesn’t, it means the original handset may be faulty.
4. From here, continue with the steps below, depending on the type of internet service you have:
ADSL2+ Home Bundle
TPG FTTB Bundle
Still having difficulties? Please contact TPG Support on 13 14 23 (option 2 for technical support).
Thanks to our team member Aldrin T. for contributing to this article!