TPG Community

Get online support

Answering machine not working

SOLVED Go to solution
richardszymura
Level 3
Recently changed to TPG NBN and now answering machine in inbuilt phone station connected directly to router no longer works. It’s a Uniden XDECT 8055 series base + 2. Can’t find out if it’s NBN compatible. Any clues as to how to remedy? Does TPG have message bank which maybe preventing answer machine working?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
richardszymura
Level 3

Thank you for that information. Our am was set at 9 rings and you are correct we’ve changed it to 6 rings and it is now working fine. Thank you so much for solving our puzzle.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @richardszymura Welcome to the TPG community, Uniden's website says that their fixed line products have been tested and are compatible with NBN services so that shouldn't be a problem, have you set the time and date correctly? The answering function won't work if this isn't done as the time stamp won't be correct.

richardszymura
Level 3
The time and date on the answering machine are both set correctly. When we receive an incoming call the caller ID is displayed twice on the handset. Is that offering any further clues as to what’s wrong.
orbistat
Level 8

Log into your account and check the settings on your NBN digital voice service control panel, make sure there are no call diversions in the settings, can you actually answer the incoming call?

richardszymura
Level 3
I’ve checked my account settings and there are no call diversions in place. Yes we definitely can answer an incoming call. Does TPG have a similar service to Telstra Home Message 101 ? Could this be the reason am not picking ?
orbistat
Level 8

I don't believe TPG has a voicemail option on NBN residential bundles, have you tried a reset all settings on the cordless system? Try that and set the minimum rings before answer option and see what happens, ensure you're Uniden is plugged into the phone 1 socket on the modem also.

richardszymura
Level 3
Reset not the answer - phone plugged into right socket - it is starting to look like we are not going to have a answering machine. Can still receive incoming calls with phone numbers displayed which is an advantage. I’m not sure what to do now.
orbistat
Level 8

I would suggest taking your base and plugging it into a friend or relatives place to see if it will answer there, ideally a modem on a working NBN service or even just a PSTN line just for curiosity, then if possible borrow someone else's answering machine/cordless base and plug it into your modem.

I'm assuming that there is nothing else plugged in parallel with your Uniden unit to your modem such as another fixed phone?

hammer25
Level 3

my mum had same probrem on  the answering settings  turn time dowm to how many rings my mums was set to six and would not work so i set it to three rings then it answer machines kicks in yes i know it a pain if you at home but theres should be a button on it to turn of and on when home 

richardszymura
Level 3

Thank you for that information. Our am was set at 9 rings and you are correct we’ve changed it to 6 rings and it is now working fine. Thank you so much for solving our puzzle.