TPG Community

Get online support

Phone connection issues with NBN

lilymao85
Level 2

I recently switched to the NBN and purchased a NBN modem with my NBN sign up.

However, in finding that the modem supplied by TPG did not have the range my home needed, I bought a new NBN-ready model (Netgear Nighthawk AC1900). I have been having difficulties connecting my phone to this modem and cannot dial in or out.

Help?

5 REPLIES 5
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @lilymao85, You need to use the TPG supplied modem for the VOIP service as the configuration is embedded in it's firmware.

The Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 will not work with the bundled phone service but will still work for normal internet.

You should be able to use a combination of the 2 routers with the supplied one handling the VOIP and ethernet and the new Netgear as the WiFi access point.

lilymao85
Level 2

Hi there

Thanks so much for the response - just wondering.....which port do I need to connect my netgear router to? Is it the DSL one?

orbistat
Level 8

@lilymao85 wrote:

Hi there

Thanks so much for the response - just wondering.....which port do I need to connect my netgear router to? Is it the DSL one?

Hi @lilymao85 You need to connect any one of the 4 LAN ports (black) on the Nighthawk to any one of the LAN ports (yellow) on either the Huawei HG659 or Archer VR1600v depending on which model you're using.

Disable DHCP on the Nighthawk and disable wireless on the Huawei HG659 or Archer VR1600v

R7000-100AUS.jpgIMG_0022A.jpg

lilymao85
Level 2

Hi @orbistat, how do I disable DHCP on the Nighthawk and wireless on my TPG modem?

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @lilymao85 which model modem was supplied by TPG? For the Netgear settings you will need to consult the documentation that came with it or contact Netgear support.