TPG Community

Get online support

Porting Phone Line Number

jbratchf
Level 2

A couple of days ago I posted a question regarding the porting of our home phone line number now that we have NBN activated, and am wondering when I could expect a response?  

8 REPLIES 8
KarlB

Hi @jbratchf,

I can confirm your Porting is now complete. Please make sure your handset is plugging direct into the Phone 1 port on the back of your modem.

Currently, TPG home phone doesn't offer something like message bank or a voicemail you can access by dialing a number on your phone, like you might be used to with your previous provider.

Nonetheless, as an alternative solution, there would be some handset with an answering machine built in.

Regards,

Karl

jbratchf
Level 2

Hi,

I phoned Telstra to cancel our Core Internet Package and they advised that our home phone number has NOT been ported as there is an outstanding order on it from 29 March and the number is being 'held'. This was around the time I reported to Telstra that our home phone line was not working. This was eventually fixed by a Telstra Technician and was a fault with a streetside cable. Telstra has now cancelled this 'order' but said it could take 5-6 days. I am a bit puzzled when you state that the number has been ported over to TPG as Telstra insists that it hasn't?

KarlB

Hi @jbratchf,

I have checked your service again and can confirm the porting has been completed, and I can currently see your phone service registered.

Is your phone working for in and out bound calls? If you call your mobile phone can your see your home number being displayed?

Regards,

Karl

jbratchf
Level 2

Hi KarlB,

Yes the phone is working for out and in bound calls, and in fact we never lost the ability to receive calls (which we were advised we may lose for a couple of days while Telstra port the number).

Also yes I can see our home number when I call my mobile.

I am really confused on what Telstra is on about as they insist if I cancel our internet package at the moment, I will lose the current home phone number. Anyhow they did say they won't charge me for internet from today, and I will call them back in 2 weeks to officially cancel our package with them. Let's see what they say then :-) 

KarlB

Hi @jbratchf,

It is odd you never lost the ability to receive calls. Are you plugging your handset into the “Phone 1” port on the back of your modem/router? Or are you still plugging your handset into your old Telstra phone socket. The handset should be connected to the “Phone 1” port on your modem.

Regards,
Karl

jbratchf
Level 2

Hi KarlB,

Yes the handset is plugged into the “Phone 1” port on the back of our modem/router - I just double checked. The modem/router is plugged into our old Telstra phone socket.

KarlB

Hi @jbratchf,

Ok that is fine. If you are able to use the service with the handset plugged into the "Phone 1" port on the back of the modem the service is up and running.

When your Telstra service was active your handset would have been plugged direct into the phone socket, and you moved it to the Phone 1 port at some stage?

Regards,

Karl

jbratchf
Level 2

Hi KarlB,

When our Telstra service was active, the handset was plugged direct into a dual port ADSL in-line filter/splitter which was plugged into the phone socket, and the ADSL router plugged into the filter/splitter.  I moved the phone handset to the Phone 1 port when TPG advised the NBN had been connected.  Before connecting the TPG router to the phone socket, out of curriosity I plugged a phone into the phone socket and there was no dialtone.