Static on phone line

Cr4ckl3
Level 2

We have had crackling static noise on our phone line for some time. It comes and goes. Sometimes it is quite clear. But in recent times it has become so bad we ask callers to phone us on our mobile phones. The past month it has become near impossible to use the phone. Today we had an important overseas call we just had to abandon. We are not on NBN, we've have a ADSL2+ & Phone bundle package with TPG for many years. Do we have to live with level of service?

4 REPLIES 4
KarlB

Hi @Cr4ckl3,

Welcome to the community,

Could you please send me a PM (private message) with your Full Name, CID (customer identication number) and your mobile phone number, so I can take a look at your service?

Regards,

Karl

Cr4ckl3
Level 2

Karl, Hi!

How do you access/do a PM?

Regards

KarlB

Hi @Cr4ckl3,

You can send me a PM by clicking on my username "KarlB" above and clicking "Send a Message"

Regards,

Karl

KarlB

Hi @Cr4ckl3,

I have ran a line test on your service, and there is no clear fault that I can just send to the wholesaler (Telstra). We require you to do some basic troubleshooting to make sure there isn’t a fault with your equipment and then I can escalate your case with our Engineers.

Below is a list of troubleshooting techniques which will help you identify the source of the issue with your phone service.

1) Isolate your line to just one phone handset by removing all other devices e.g. modem, filter, other handsets, alarm, etc.

2) Test another phone cable between your handset and the phone socket on the wall.

3) Plug your phone handset into another socket if you have multiple phone sockets in your premises.

4) Test a second handset. If possible try a standard corded handset. A cordless phone base station with multiple satellite handsets will need the base station unplugged and a separate handset tested.

If you still have audible noise issues after trying the steps above let me know.

Regards,

Karl