TPG Community

Get online support

Access router connected HDD via Google nest mesh wifi

SOLVED Go to solution
internetuser1
Level 2
Hello,

I have NBN fttc with a tp link Archer VR1600v wifi router. I am looking at setting up a Google nest wifi mesh for wifi. I've read a few of the posts on here about how this set up should work - at this stage I'm not totally sure of all the details but I expect things to be clearer when I start the setup.

One of the features of the tp link router that I use is the USB hard drive SMB/upnp capability so I can share movies etc on my home network using the drive connected to the USB port of the router.

So my question is, can I continue to access the USB mounted HDD over a wifi network that is provided by the Google nest mesh router (instead of the tp link router)?

I understand I need to connect the Google nest router to the tp link (which is in turn connected to the NBN network device), set the nest up as as part of the DMZ and disable WiFi on the tp link.

If I do all that, will the HDD still be accessible via SMB or upnp?

Thanks
TS.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @internetuser1 . No change to the Archer except to turn off its wifi. The Archer controls the home network.

In the Google app, if there is a specific setting of "Access Point" mode, you can connect the Google WAN port to an Archer LAN port. In Google router, check that the DHCP and NAT functions are disabled. The Google router gets an ip address from the Archer. Or, change the Google LAN ip address to, say, 192.168.1.2. Or, make an address reservation in the Archer for the Google mac address.

Wifi devices that connect to Google wifi get ip address from Archer. You can change Google config (probably only the wifi config) by browsing to the Google ip address.

I don't know about the DMZ business. All your local devices can access the HDD using one of three methods. Are you wanting to access it from the internet?

The Google app might have instructions on setting it as access point, or there is a section on it here:

https://routerctrl.com/google-nest-wi-fi-router-as-a-point/

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
david64
Level 15

Hi @internetuser1 . No change to the Archer except to turn off its wifi. The Archer controls the home network.

In the Google app, if there is a specific setting of "Access Point" mode, you can connect the Google WAN port to an Archer LAN port. In Google router, check that the DHCP and NAT functions are disabled. The Google router gets an ip address from the Archer. Or, change the Google LAN ip address to, say, 192.168.1.2. Or, make an address reservation in the Archer for the Google mac address.

Wifi devices that connect to Google wifi get ip address from Archer. You can change Google config (probably only the wifi config) by browsing to the Google ip address.

I don't know about the DMZ business. All your local devices can access the HDD using one of three methods. Are you wanting to access it from the internet?

The Google app might have instructions on setting it as access point, or there is a section on it here:

https://routerctrl.com/google-nest-wi-fi-router-as-a-point/

internetuser1
Level 2

hi @david64 , thanks for your reply.

that makes sense now - having the archer router with DHCP enabled and google nest connected devices obtaining an IP from archer, i can see how they will be able to access the usb hdd as a network share. 

re your question about access from the internet - no, this isnt what im trying to achieve, i only care about access to the usb hdd network share from within my wifi home network.

i'll give it a try and let you know how i get on. 

thanks again,

ts