TPG Community

Get online support

Another victim of the VR1600V "update?"

PeterWebtrax
Level 2

Hi

I'm another customer who has just wasted a week of their life trying to find the cause of this problem, after being assured by tech support that TPG were not blocking ports 80 and 443.

Finally found this forum and the multitude of other people who have the same problem.

Not happy at all!

I've been in IT for over 40 years, and I know problems happen when upgrading software, I've done it many times. What I can't abide is companies pretending that there isn't a problem!

Own up to it, and give us an estimate of when it will be fixed.

I've been a customer of TPG since ADSL was first introduced, a long time, but I won't be any longer if we don't get come feedback soon.

Regards
Pete

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @PeterWebtrax,

Welcome to the community!

We're sad to know that you're also affected with the recent factory reset issue of our supplied modem/router.  As you may be aware, the internet has many people who seek to make unauthorised access to other people’s devices.  Our security teams have recently identified some potentially suspicious activity relating to the VOIP phone settings of a small number of customers who had enabled remote access on their modems.  Our security teams took pro-active steps to limit this activity which may have caused some customer modems to reset and default to factory settings.   If your service is still affected in any way and not operating as it did prior to 1 July, please let us know so we can further investigate.

In case you need a reference: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Regards, 

Hi

I'm another customer who has just wasted a week of their life trying to find the cause of this problem, after being assured by tech support that TPG were not blocking ports 80 and 443.

Finally found this forum and the multitude of other people who have the same problem.

Not happy at all!

I've been in IT for over 40 years, and I know problems happen when upgrading software, I've done it many times. What I can't abide is companies pretending that there isn't a problem!

Own up to it, and give us an estimate of when it will be fixed.

I've been a customer of TPG since ADSL was first introduced, a long time, but I won't be any longer if we don't get come feedback soon.

Regards
Pete

PeterWebtrax
Level 2

It would be fine if the router had actually gone back to it's original factory state.

But it is either NOT in the original factory state, or your network guys have changed some parameters to block access to my Port 80, 443, although I think this is less likely.

I'll run through the steps to show why I believe this to be the case:

• I do a full factory reset, which removes my 'port forwarding' parameters completely.
  • I can access the router 192.168.1.1:80 from my internal network, and fully access the router admin pages.
  • I cannot access port 80 from outside the network, which is correct, as there is no port forwarding set up yet.
  • I put in a simple port forward from external port 80 to internal port 80.
  • There is a web server operating on port 80 on my internal network.
  • I still CANNOT access port 80 on the internal server from outside.
  • I update the port forward to be from external port 8080 to internal port 80.
  • I CAN now reach the internal web server running on port 80.
  • Try it yourself at the following address:
  • http://transaustraliatrail.com.au:8080/
  • This does NOT work if I do a port forward from ext port 80 to int port 80.

Which implies to me that it is not a TPG network issue, as I wouldn't be able to get to port 80 from outside at all.

Which means there must be something not configured correctly, or corrupted, in the router itself. I can't see anything obvious. But something must be different to what it was before July 1.

I hope this helps you find the cause of the problem.

I am happy to be contacted by any of your techs who are working on the problem, to do any tests that I can. I want this fixed asap. Account name is xxxxxx.

Regards
Pete

Shane

Hi @PeterWebtrax,

Thanks for sending me your details. I will raise this to our Team for additional reference on the ongoing investigation related to this issue. We'll provide you an update when it becomes available. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Regards, 

It would be fine if the router had actually gone back to it's original factory state.

But it is either NOT in the original factory state, or your network guys have changed some parameters to block access to my Port 80, 443, although I think this is less likely.

I'll run through the steps to show why I believe this to be the case:

• I do a full factory reset, which removes my 'port forwarding' parameters completely.
  • I can access the router 192.168.1.1:80 from my internal network, and fully access the router admin pages.
  • I cannot access port 80 from outside the network, which is correct, as there is no port forwarding set up yet.
  • I put in a simple port forward from external port 80 to internal port 80.
  • There is a web server operating on port 80 on my internal network.
  • I still CANNOT access port 80 on the internal server from outside.
  • I update the port forward to be from external port 8080 to internal port 80.
  • I CAN now reach the internal web server running on port 80.
  • Try it yourself at the following address:
  • http://transaustraliatrail.com.au:8080/
  • This does NOT work if I do a port forward from ext port 80 to int port 80.

Which implies to me that it is not a TPG network issue, as I wouldn't be able to get to port 80 from outside at all.

Which means there must be something not configured correctly, or corrupted, in the router itself. I can't see anything obvious. But something must be different to what it was before July 1.

I hope this helps you find the cause of the problem.

I am happy to be contacted by any of your techs who are working on the problem, to do any tests that I can. I want this fixed asap. Account name is xxxxxx.

Regards
Pete

Chowdry
Level 2

So no update on this???

Shane

Hi @Chowdry,

As you may be aware, the internet has many people who seek to make unauthorised access to other people’s devices. Our security teams identified some potentially suspicious activity relating to the VOIP phone settings of a small number of customers who had enabled remote access on their modems. Our security teams took pro-active steps to limit this activity which may have caused some customer modems to reset and default to factory settings.   If your service is still affected in any way and not operating as it did prior to 1 July, please let us know so we can further investigate.

Regards,