TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR16600v stop working after few minutes

Taz
Level 3
Level 3

Hello. My Archer VR1600v has been working fine since I got it about a month ago. Yesterday when i get home from work it only seems to last about 5 minutes of connectivity before it stops working. It doesn't drop out, it passes the internal modem tests, the modem says it's still connected - and with good speeds - but internet stops working. Tracerout from the computer gets to the modem but timesout past the modem. I have reset the modem a number of times including turning it off and back on and the same thing happens. It works for a few minutes before getting time-outs (and the modem says still connected).

I have swapped back to the old huawei modem and it works fine and internet works fine. Sounds like the Archer has developed a fault

7 REPLIES 7
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @Taz check that you haven't got an iP conflict, disconnect ALL devices from the VR1600v both Ethernet and WiFi and reconnect one at a time, have you assigned any static iP addresses to anything?

Taz
Level 3
Level 3

There's no IP conflict. Only 2 devices plugged into the router, both with fixed IPs. And Wi-Fi is disabled. And I can still get to the modem with no problem. Just not past it (i.e. the first hop NBN address)

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @Taz have you actually done a hard reset using the button on the rear of the modem? What does the system log report? Save a copy to notepad and scroll through to see what occurs after a cold start.

Taz
Level 3
Level 3

is there a way of doing a ping or traceroute from the modem? I cant find options

orbistat
Level 8

The system log will tell you where it's failing, if there's DSL sync but no WAN authentication, it's upstream of the modem, it's all there in the log.

Taz
Level 3
Level 3

i found the problem. the modem had for some reason added my computer to the blocked DoS host list. Which is silly because my computer is behind a threat management gateway and the AV software didn't find anything. False positive. All good now. hopefully it stays that way.

orbistat
Level 8

All good then, the DoS service is off by default on the VR1600v, happy browsing.