TPG Community

Get online support

Archer vr1600 (Modem) plus Google Nest (Router)

Thecheffer
Level 2

i've had these two routers set-up for some time - without issue -, i am now however, looking to share an IP/Port over the internet so have hit double NAT issues... 

I'm trying to switch my TPG supplied Archer VR1600 into Bridge mode and have my Google Nest be my sole Router/Network device. 

Getting the Arche 1600 into Bridge mode is nice an simple - i've done that - but i'm having trouble with the Google Nest.  

I know this is a TPG forum but it seems there are some sensible replies to other posts - so i thought i'd try here. 

During configuration of the Google Nest router - im prompted to plug in the Ethernet cable - which I do - and hit next - I then get connection failed.  

Not suprising, as i've not told the Google Nest to use PPPoE.  It seems i'm stuck with the Google Nest 'expecting' the internet but I have no way to tell it to use PPPoE.  

I've tried reconfiguraing teh connection in situ (i.e the Archer is logged into PPPoE) but again, I cant seem to updated the PPPoE information without the Google Nest being connected to the internet either - so it's catch 22.   Any suggestions / guides / experience?? 

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
david64
Level 15

Hi @Thecheffer . When you say share an IP/Port over the internet, what do you mean?
What type of NBN connection do you have?

What firmware version is on the VR1600?

Thecheffer
Level 2
Hi David,
I just want to start accessing a couple of devices over the internet - I’ll have a VPN etc. to secure this.

I’ve got FTTN and my Archer firmware is 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 220518 Rel.32480n

Thanks - any help is appreciated.
david64
Level 15

@Thecheffer . Read my post in this thread.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/NBN-Installation/How-do-i-set-up-a-D-link-COVR-1100-to-a-tp-link-Ach...

This user set up a COVR device to do same as you with Nest.

You need the Archer to be running in normal mode first.

david64
Level 15

@Thecheffer . Leave Nest disconnected from Archer, do factory reset and try setup. No chance for Nest to be confused about any signals from Archer.

Thecheffer
Level 2

HI David, I've done all of this - i've restarted TPLink and Google Nest router.  Kept the Google Nest Router unplugged (from ethernet) until the configuration process explictily tells me to connect it.  

Still the same.  I think the crux of my issue is the Google router config is not allowing me to enter my PPPoE information - it's assuming it's a standard wired interenet and I cant seem to navigate that.  

david64
Level 15

@Thecheffer  Wirh the Archer in bridge mode with VLAN ID 2 on the bridge connection, it is ready to go.

With the Nest disconnected and reset, you should be able to make pppoe settings and save them. Rationale is that you may not have a working connecfion to connect the Nest to.

You might have to contact Google to find out why you can't save the settings.

With Archer in bridge mode, does the DSL light come on?

When Nest WAN port connected to Archer LAN port, does the LAN indicator light come on?

Thecheffer
Level 2
Hi,
When the TpLink is in Bridge mode - the DSL light is illuminated. (It flashes for a while then goes solid green)
With the Google Nest plugged into LAN on the TpLink (WAN) on google nest - the LAN light is illuminated on the TpLink.

Nb. I have edited this post to correctly describe the DSL light - I thought this didn’t come in but retested and intact, it does come in when in bridge mode - is this correct?
david64
Level 15

@Thecheffer . I expected the DSL light to come on because the TPLink is doing the physical connection to the node. It flashes during synchronisation.

With the Google Nest plugged into LAN on the TpLink (WAN) on google nest ...

Just to be clear, the Nest WAN port connects to the TPLink LAN port; any port but try #1.

You were able to get the pppoe settings accepted in Nest?

You can try your username with and without @tpg.com.au

The password is the one used to login to MyAccount. You can also try   noPassword

Thecheffer
Level 2

Ok… I’m getting somewhere. I’ve noticed, when adding the Bridge Internet connection to the Archer - it actually creates two other WAN interface entries - both remain disconnected but deleting these and attempting to connect the Google Nest - I get a step closer!
I now see an option during the Google Nest setup to select PPPoE - I do this, enter my TPG username/password (which I know to be correct), hit save and get the following error:
Configuring PPPoE failed. Please note that VLAN ID tagging is not supported.

Any further suggestions?