TPG Community

Get online support

Archer vr1600 (Modem) plus Google Nest (Router)

david64
Level 15

@Thecheffer . That's strange. It's like Archer is passing vlan tags to the LAN side.

Can you get some screenshots. 

Reset Archer and login. The DSL and Internet lights might come on due to TPG's default config.

Go to Advanced, Network, DSL. Screenshot showing the DSL interfaces.

Do bridge interface setup. Do screenshot just before doing Save.

I'd expect you to be disconnected as the bridge config activates.

If you stay connected, get a screenshot after the previous Save.

Thecheffer
Level 2

Hi David - thanks for your persistence! here are some screenshots of my process.

Bare with!

1.) This is the Router working - as a Router.  Note the two additional WAN Interfaces – I’ve not created (ipoe_ptm_novlan and pppoe_ptm_0_0_d)1.) This is the Router working - as a Router. Note the two additional WAN Interfaces – I’ve not created (ipoe_ptm_novlan and pppoe_ptm_0_0_d)2.) All WAN connections deleted2.) All WAN connections deleted3.) Add a new connection - selecting VLAN ID=2 and Type=Bridge3.) Add a new connection - selecting VLAN ID=2 and Type=Bridge4.) Bridge connection saved4.) Bridge connection saved5.) after rebooting the router, I'm back to these two additional WAN Connections - both remain disconnected.5.) after rebooting the router, I'm back to these two additional WAN Connections - both remain disconnected.6.) Note my internet status is this chain icon (the DSL light is solid green)6.) Note my internet status is this chain icon (the DSL light is solid green)7.) Removing the two automatically created WAN connections (shown in image 5) - I get a little further with the Google Nest.  On configuring this - I am prompted for a connection type - I select PPPoE and enter my username/password - It then fails with "Configuring PPPoE failed. Please note that VLAN ID tagging is not supported.7.) Removing the two automatically created WAN connections (shown in image 5) - I get a little further with the Google Nest. On configuring this - I am prompted for a connection type - I select PPPoE and enter my username/password - It then fails with "Configuring PPPoE failed. Please note that VLAN ID tagging is not supported.8.) to confirm - my WAN Connection remain as is - i.e in Bridge mode.8.) to confirm - my WAN Connection remain as is - i.e in Bridge mode.

david64
Level 15

@Thecheffer . Regarding the pictures:

1. Normal. There is a DSL connection without VLAN ID and ipoe (another connection type).

2. All deleted.

3. Creating bridge connection.

4. Bridge connection active. My understanding was that you would be logged out of admin as the bridge connection came active.

5. It's odd how the other 2 connections are defined after reboot.

6. Chain icon might mean bridge.

7. The other 2 connections should be irrelevant since they are disconnected. Nest should be unplugged at this stage. You should be able to configure Nest with PPPoE settings.

From the Nest error message, it looks like the Nest is receiving ethernet frames from Archer with the VLAN tag still present. This is not how I thought it worked.

With Archer in bridge mode, if you can login to admin function, can you attach a screenshot of the Basic, Network Map screen.

When you connect Nest to Archer, it is to yellow LAN port?

Thecheffer
Level 2

Here's the basic network overview.  With the NEST plugged in (to [yellow] LAN1 on the TPLINK) - the LAN1 light is illuminated.Here's the basic network overview. With the NEST plugged in (to [yellow] LAN1 on the TPLINK) - the LAN1 light is illuminated.

david64
Level 15

@Thecheffer . This is just the Archer in normal router mode, pppoe and the wan ip address.

Since voip phone won't work with Archer in bridge mode, it might be easier to convert your connection to a Data Only plan. This doesn't use VLAN ID. 

You create a bridge interface but with VLAN disabled.

Nest has pppoe, username and password.

Send a Private Message to a moderator to get converted.

With Archer in normal mode, the DSL interface will change from ptm with vid 2 to ptm with vid disabled and status connected. You can then try the bridge setup.

Thecheffer
Level 2
Hi David - thanks for your assistance - I did message a moderator and ended up switching to FTTP - hopefully this will simplify my network needs (once activated)! Thanks again for your persistence.