TPG Community

Get online support

Are the Tpg routers DHCP compatible?

rickjames
Level 2

Hi

i have a samsung tv that wirelessly connected to my old cable network and asus router.

now that’s defunct as I have been connected to the NBN, my Samsung tv is not finding the new TPG supplied router..... wirelessly....

help,what can I do, i did read that the Samsung tv may be dependant on DHCP for wireless wifi   connection... are the Tpg routers dhcp compatible? I’m a little unsure on what to do...

can I search in the router settings or change anything.... 

9 REPLIES 9
Shane

Hi @rickjames,

Thanks for sharing this with us. We had encountered the same issue before, connecting 3rd party router using our supplied modem/router and it actually work by changing the router's connection mode to "DHCP mode"

You can visit this link for reference. Connect Asus RT-AC88U to Huawei HG659.

Let me know how it will go and should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

rickjames
Level 2

Hi Shane,

I see the TP link router is already on DHCP server - is already highlighted. Which I assumed it was'nt...

My Samsung TV pics up my asus wireless No problem.

what else would you suggest I do with the TP link router, so that my TV pics up on its wifi....

Shane

Hi @rickjames,

You can turn off our supplied modem/router's Wi-Fi network and connect your ASUS router that is set to DHCP mode and you can still use the ASUS wireless network.

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

rickjames
Level 2

Hi Shane

Do I need some DNS numbers for my asus...

I tried to connect to my asus router - but it gets stuck at seeking connection (i have a cable running directly from my asus router to my PC for this. (& I have nbn connected to my asus with internet light on

If there is a more detailed walkthru please..

Also if there are any ideas for getting my samsung TV to find the wireless network if I use the TP link TPG supplied router...

Shane

Hi @rickjames

The DNS settings for the router should be set on "Automatically Receive DNS IP address" make sure the your ASUS router is connected to the LAN1 and the connection mode is on "DHCP".

This is the standard settings that we provide for users who wants to use a 3rd party router; Please be advised that we do not have reference to your owned 3rd party router. In case it will not work; we recommend to contact the support of your manufacturer.

Also if there are any ideas for getting my samsung TV to find the wireless network if I use the TP link TPG supplied router...

If other device(s) such as smart phones are able to detect and connect to TP Link's Wireless network; there is a chance that the Smart TV's wireless network is not compatible with A/C network.

Please see TP-Link VR1600's Wireless Specification below.

• Wireless Standards: IEEE 802.11ac/n/a 5GHz, IEEE 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz

•  Frequency: 2.4GHz and 5GHz (not Supports DFS)

• Signal Rate: 1300Mbps at 5GHz, 300Mbps at 2.4GHz

• Transmit Power: <20dBm(2.4GHz), <23dBm(5GHz)
  • Wireless Function: Enable/Disable Wireless Radio, WDS Bridge, WMM,

• Wireless Security: 64/128-bit WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA-PSK2
  • encryptions

• Wireless Schedule: Support 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless Schedule

For more information you can visit this link TP-Link Archer VR1600v - Credits to https://www.tp-link.com/au/download/Archer-VR1600v.html

You can also try to change wireless network if it will help, please see this article below.

Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it?

rickjames
Level 2

Gday Shane - thanks for all your help to date

Q's

I am plugging the NBN modem cable directly into my asus router, but by your below comment, should I be connecting my asus router to the Lan1 of the Tp Link router......?

My Asus has DHCP - and capabilities for 802.11b, a/g, n, & ac - which has been working & still works with my samsung tv

Shane

Hi @rickjames,

Yes, our supplied TP-Link modem/router will serve as a modem and your ASUS will serve as a router.

TP-Link must be connected to the NBN box and your router is connected to TP-Link's LAN port (1).

Note: Before connecting your ASUS router, make sure it's connection mode is on DHCP.

I am plugging the NBN modem cable directly into my asus router, but by your below comment, should I be connecting my asus router to the Lan1 of the Tp Link router......?

Regards,

rickjames
Level 2

Hi Shane

Much thanks mate

That does work

Cheers

Shane

Yayy! I am glad to know that @rickjames. For any queries in the future do no hesitate to open a thread here in our community.

Cheers!