TPG Community

Get online support

Change Huawei Router to Modem only mode

Aesir
Level 2

I want to change the Huawey router HG658BZV VER.A to be in MODEM only mode, so that my Nighthawk X500 router does all the filtering/security/routing etc. and have the Huawei ONLY be a simple modem.

While with most routers it is a simple change, the huawei is unnecessarily complicated.

7 REPLIES 7
BasilDV

Hi @Aesir,

Welcome to TPG Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details and understand that you are under the NBN FTTP technology.

On FTTP, it has an NTD, which acts as a modem. If you want to use your Netgear router, then you just need to eliminate the Huawei router and connect the Netgear directly to your NTD box. Then configure it to PPPoE with the correct TPG username and password. Here's the general settings for NBN FTTP.

Regards,

BasilDV

Aesir
Level 2

Hi Basil,

I think you got the wrong account, i dont use the same username as my real world account for privacy reasons.

My region uses FTTN, hence why i am required to use TPG equipment, in this case HG658. For a while it has been good enough to use but now it is starting to limit what i can do from home due to its cumbersome nature.

So back to original question of HG658, how do i set it up so it runs in modem only mode, without losing VOIP ability at same time?

BasilDV

I see. Thank you for the information, @Aesir.

If you are on an NBN FTTN technology, then the authentication for your service needs to come from the Huawei modem in order for the VoIP to work.

You may use your Netgear as an Access point which will broadcast your WiFi connection. You can turn off/disable the WiFi capability of the Huawei to lessen the signal interference.

Regards,

BasilDV

Aesir
Level 2

Hi Basil,

Yep understand all of that.

So how do i enable my TPG router to handle only VOIP and internet connection, and pass all the traffic to my netgear router so that it can do all the IP Filtering/Port Forwarding etc?

That is my phone still uses HG for all things phone, and internet is just diverted to a proper router for management?

Also considering it has never been update and there are recorded security risks as specified by TPG for the HG, are we allowed to update the firmware to latest version?

BasilDV

HI @Aesir,

There's no option to pass all traffic to your Netgear router.

We need to check if there's an available firmware update for your device.

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number along with the current firmware of your modem.

Regards,

BasilDV

mcafee01
Level 2

How to change my Huawei Router Modem?

Nice question asking, I had faced the same problem, please tell me.

Will

Hi @mcafee01,

Welcome to the Community!

Can you expound on what you're trying to accomplish so we'll have a better idea on how we can provide assistance?

Regards,

Will