TPG Community

Get online support

Clarification on TPG-Provided TP-Link Modems; "Raise the issue with TP-Link"

a-lo
Level 2

Dear TPG Support Team,

I am writing to seek clarification on an issue that affects many of your customers, including myself, regarding the TP-Link modems supplied by TPG.

I understand that TPG purchases these modems, for example, the TP-Link VX420-G2v v2 model, in bulk and is responsible for their firmware updates. This responsibility is critical because, for over a decade, TPG has consistently directed customers to TP-Link for modem-related issues. However, TP-Link's official stance, as found on their website, is to redirect queries about these modems back to the ISP, in this case, TPG.

Under Australian Consumer Law, the retailer, which in this scenario is TPG, bears the responsibility for addressing any faults or performance issues with products they sell. This responsibility encompasses providing appropriate remedies like repair, replacement, or refund when products fail to meet consumer guarantees. Importantly, the law stipulates that the retailer cannot merely refer consumers to the product’s manufacturer for resolution of these issues.

Moreover, matters such as firmware updates, fixing of issues, or non-functioning features are beyond the manufacturer's direct intervention since they do not manage firmware updates for these customised modems; TPG does. This makes TPG the primary point of contact for any related concerns.

In light of this, I would like to understand TPG's official position on this matter. If a TPG representative suggests that a customer should contact TP-Link for modem-related issues, how should we proceed, considering TPG's obligations under Australian Consumer Law?

Furthermore, I seek guidance on the appropriate steps for customers to take if their concerns remain unresolved, including potentially contacting the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and/or the Communications Ombudsman.

Your clarification on this matter will greatly assist in ensuring that customer concerns are appropriately and legally addressed.

Thank you for your attention to this important issue.

4 REPLIES 4
a-lo
Level 2

Hey TPG Team and Community,

Just bumping my previous post about the TP-Link modem issues. Still waiting on clarity regarding support and firmware updates.

Since TPG supplies these modems and does the firmware, how are we supposed to get support, when the call centre constantly tells us to go to TP-Link?

TP-Link says to ask you, and you're in charge of the firmware updates for these modems anyway.

What's the official word, TPG?

a-lo
Level 2

Hi TPG,

Giving this a final bump before I engage the TIO.

Am tired of being sent around in circles, as I'm sure many others are.

Level 2

I'm keen to keep updated on this! Any update? Thank you for your service and pursuing the matter in this way.

Aubrey

@5819286 Please send us a PM with your account details. Thanks!